1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk boot failure - insert system disk and press enter

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by melanief, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melanief

melanief Thread Starter

I had a power outage last night and when I turned the computer back on this morning, it says that error. "Disk Boot Failure - Insert system disk and press enter"

I do not have a working CD drive in the computer so I hope that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Thanks for the help!
    Melanie

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi,

The first thing to try is to go to the computer bios (setup) & make sure the pc is set to boot from your bootable hard drive.

You enter the bios normally by pressing one of the following keys repeatedly as the pc is starting: del, esc, f1, f2, f5.
    Quite often, as the pc starts up, it will display which key to press to enter setup.

the boot order is normally set either from the boot tab, or the advanced tab. follow the instructions on the screen on how to change the settings.

Hope this helps

Rob

3. melanief

melanief Thread Starter

Hi Rob,

Thanks for giving me this advice, however, I now think I have bigger problems... while I was waiting for responses to this post I changed the boot order in BIOS and still nothing; same error message. Then, I went back to researching from my laptop and the computer just shut off. It never came back on, so now I'm thinking power supply went out, do you think?

Please give me additional advice if you have any.

Thanks again,
    Melanie

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    since u had a power outage last night im going to take a guess its either a power supply problem or the hard drive died or worst case scenario your motherboard got fried.if that what happened im afraid its going to be an expensive thing to fix.hope this helps u.

5. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Hi, this sounds about right.

The hard drive may have failed initially, but this will not have caused your latest prob.

Does your power supply have a light on it when it is turned on?
    Does your power supply get warm after it has been turned on a while?

Rob

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/932734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice