1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk boot failure, insert system disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SVTCobraLTD, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SVTCobraLTD

SVTCobraLTD Thread Starter

When starting the computer, I keep getting "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". Nothing works other than putting in the boot disk and hitting the restart button on the tower. Then it will boot up and run fine. But how do I stop it from having to have the disk in order to load? Checked in the BIOS and the hard drive is the first load.

2. bbearren

bbearren

Is this Windows 7 or XP?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

Your specs say windows xp. are you trying to put in windows 7?If you are trying to install windows 7 the only thing i can think of is that you have to change the bios to go from ATA,SATA,or IDE compatable to AHCI to run windows 7 properly.in dells to go into the bios hit F2. for the boot order hit F12. if the cd/dvd drive isnt showing in the boot order its possible the cd drive has failed.another cause for that message when trying to install an operating system is sometimes the disk is dirty and the info cant be read on it.it might also be that something has gotten corrupted somewhere.

4. SVTCobraLTD

SVTCobraLTD Thread Starter

My computer is windows 7 and has been for a year or longer. This just started.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016064