1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Boot Failure - Please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaimidog, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaimidog

jaimidog Thread Starter

Two days ago Microsoft started the automatic updates. A box came up saying that the computer would restart in 8 minutes and gave me the option to Restart Now or Restart Later. I chose Restart Later. I went to bed & when I got up the next morning the computer was froze on the Windows is shutting down screen. I had to turn off with the switch. When I turned back on, the computer won't start and gives the error "Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter. At the top of the screen it states:

Diskette Drive B: None
    Pri. Master Disk: None
    Pri. Slave Disk: None
    Sec. Master Disk: CD-ROM, UDMA 2
    Sec. Slave Disk: CD-ROM, UDMA 2

In BIOS at the Main Screen it shows:

Primary Master [AUTO] (My only other option is NONE)
    Primary Slave: [AUTO] (My only other option is NONE)
    Secondary Master: [MAT****ADVD-ROM SR-8588]
    Secondary Slave: [_NEC CD-RW NR-9100A]

On the BOOT Screen it shows:

1. IDE Hard Drive [None}
    2. ATAPI CD-ROM [MAT****ADVD-ROM SR-8588]
    3. Removable Device [Legacy Floppy]
    4. Other Bootable Device [Disabled]
    Silent Boot [Enabled]

I don’t know why the above sees my floppy drive as “B”. It was “A” prior to this problem. Or at least showed “A” in Windows Exployer.

I have a second hard drive in this computer and they are connected with the same cable. I thought maybe the cable went bad so I changed it out but didn't help. The master and slave/cable select switches have not been changed since the second drive was put in over 5 years ago. It appears that the computer cannot find either hard drive so would it be logical to think that it’s not a bad hard drive but something else, right?

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX850 and do have the Recovery CD's that came with the computer. I'm afraid to use them without trying something else first. I have some important files that I really need to try and keep if at all possible. I have done a lot of reading on the internet where there have been several suggestions but I don’t know what to try first since none of the problems were exactly like mine.

Can anyone help?

2. Megabite

Megabite

Try taking the Cmos battery out for 10min and then put it back in......

3. jaimidog

jaimidog Thread Starter

Thanks for replying Megabite!

Before taking the battery out i went into BIOS and wrote all info down. After taking the battery out and reconnecting the computer booted right up to the BIOS setup Utility. I noticed that there were several more options listed than before. The only one I changed from No to Yes was where it asked if this was a Plug & Play OS. After saving and exiting the computer started to boot but came back to the screen I posted above. Would it help if I posted all the info in my BIOS?

What would be my next step???

Thanks!

4. Megabite

Megabite

When in Bios do you see your main Hard drive mentioned by name?

5. jaimidog

jaimidog Thread Starter

No, it still says None

6. Megabite

Megabite

Could be the MB as unusual for both HDD to go at the same time......can you test the HDD on another PC

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice