1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disk check problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kp3509, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kp3509

kp3509 Thread Starter

Recently windows disk check sets itself to automaticly start on reboots everyonce in a while but it either hangs b4 finishing or gets a blue screen error message. When I try to run diskcheck or do anything else I cant because this is set to run. I can disable it with chkntfs /x but it still will not let me defrag or do anything else becuase it thinks it is still set to run what can I do?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

The most likely reason for this type of behaviour is that your disk is dying or that it has serious sector or file errors. When the Windows chkdsk utility is set to run it will only register the check as being done if it can complete the check successfully. If the chkdsk run terminates with errors then as far as Windows is concerned the process has not completed and it will be set to run again at the next startup.

If you are running Windows XP and can boot into it then logon as an Administrator and go to Start > Run and type in sfc /scannow (please note the space between sfc and the / ) This utility will run a check on your Windows System Files and repair as needed.

If Windows is OK then it would be wise to make a full backup of the system disk (or partition) and any data files that you may have on this disk. As an added precaution it would be advisable to copy the data files to CD or burn an ISO to a DVD.

You should then logon to the website of your disk manufacturer and download any disk utilities which the manufacturer may have available. Be careful when using these utilities as most of them will fix your disk but will also destroy your data in the process.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice