1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Clean-up & Disk Defrag XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by margie821, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

I am unable to get Disk Cleanup or Disk Defragmenter to work. I have Window's XP professional.

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

try doing it in safe mode, tab the F8 button continously while the system is booting up, at the menu, choose safe mode and try defragging there.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil, but I'm a novice, what exactly does chkdsk mean? When I clicked on http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/reg...essoldfiles.reg it started to download a program. I didn't accept because I wasn't sure if it was something I was suppose to run that would correct the problem or not. Sorry, obviously I'm rather clueless to technology but rely on the wonderful people on hear to educate me :confused: Margie

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The file from Kelly's Korner is a reg file that you will need to merge with your registry to fix the Disk Cleanup problem. Anything from Kelly is safe. You can just open it or save it and run it.

As far as chkdsk goes, it is the XP equivalent of scandisk for repairing disk errors. It can be accessed as a tool in the Properties menu of your drives in My Computer. But it is actually easier to do it from the Run box in the Start menu.

To check your C: drive, for example, go to the Run box and type:
    chkdsk C: /f
    A dialog will pop up and tell you that it can't fix errors while XP is running and ask if you like to do it on reboot. Type "y" and hit Enter. Your drive will be checked for errors the next time you boot. This is a definite improvement over scandisk's constant restarts, not to mention that after scandisk finished its repairs, it just continued the boot, possibly with defective data that it had just repaired having had already been used in the boot process.

Defrag won't run if there are disk errors. What message do you get when you try to run defrag?

6. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Thank you Elvandil, I don't get any message when I try defrag it just doesn't work. I shall try what you recommended, chkdsk and see if it helps. Thanks

7. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil I downloaded the file from Kelly's Corner, installed it then ran chkdsk C: /f and ran Disk Cleanup (it worked!) then ran Disk Defragment (it worked!). Thanks again. I alway's get wonderful advice on here. It's nice to have people to help us novices!! Margie

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Great. Thank you for the followup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice