1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disk clean up problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amoment2late, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amoment2late

amoment2late Thread Starter

everytime i run disk clean up it freezes, it freezes while its :"calculating" but it lets you cancel, not like when other programs freeze, its been like this for a very long time, and to delete temp files, i just delete them from the folder, but i would like to be able to run scan disk again, and also disk defrag usually nevers goes past 5 percent, even after hours of running, it never goes past 5 percent

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. amoment2late

amoment2late Thread Starter

thanks so much, disk cleanup works again, and im about to try defrag

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Besides there being no Systray, shutting down other services, especially the RPC service, will shut down the machine.

5. chalky

chalky

Sorry thought I was in Windows 98 when I read the post...at least that was where I started off...didn't realise I'd somehow jumped to 2000 XP...
    I'll delete the post so it doesn't cause any mishaps...

And in the same vein and no offense meant but..don't you think just posting a link that just downloads an exe...no info posted with the link whatsoever...a Reg deletion file is what it looks like... ... is not a good idea...as I've just done with the forums it's easy to click on without realising it...

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

No offense taken. This is something I have thought about for sure. Generally speaking, I'd never recommend that anyone just download and run a file. In this particular case, the reason was simply because there was so much on that page that the download may not have been too easy to find.

If possible, I try to send people to a particular full page, if there is one, which my personal site and ftp sites don't have.

Then there is the entire issue of trust. Malicious people get kicked out of here. Looking at a person's past posts and the quantity of them can weed out most malice. Only the deeply insane would spend a lot of time here trying to help people in order to win trust that would allow them to play pranks.

As far as clicking on it by mistake, well, downloads don't need to be executed even if downloaded. If someone has set their downloads to open when complete, it would be a very good idea to turn it off.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!