1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Cleanup gone mad? or virus maybe?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oreses, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oreses

oreses Thread Starter

Hi all you helpers

I would really appreciate any lead here please.

Sitting on my computer today i saw a Windows message that one of my partition drives is full and suggested Disk Cleanup.
    I OK'd it and allowed it to erase Temporary Files as well.
    after it finished I clecked the drives Properties to see how much space was saved and saw that the drive is almost totaly empty...
    I started to open the drives folder and saw that although all folders are there - no files exist!
    14 GB of pictures and other important files are just gone...
    Trash is empty too...

What can be done?

2. newgirl

newgirl

would a restore to previous date help in this case??

3. speed_hog

speed_hog

Oreses welcome to TSG,
    be careful what you do with the hard drive... Or all is lost...
    The first thing you want to do is unplug it ASAP and don't use it until you figure out what is happening as any hard drive activity may really make the data unrecoverable...

Tell us more info what security software are you using etc...
    Don't empty the recycle bin and check and see whats in there.

4. oreses

oreses Thread Starter

OK
    first to answer your questions Speed Hog and new girl - The recycle bin was empty when I looked for the files there. Tried to restore but no restore points exist (which is very strange 'cause i schedule it...).
    my AntiVirus is BitDefender free edition v10. It found nothing and is updated.

What I did do is download a File Recovery program called Active UnErase and that managed to do the trick! I recovered about 23 GB of data (although I had only about 14 in that drive as far as I know...)

So I still don't know what exactly happend and if it's a virus, I stil can't detect it BUT I have my files and i'm backing them up right now.
    Do you think it's safe to use that partition drive again?

5. speed_hog

speed_hog

oreses, I would read the sticky posts at the link below to get an idea of what malware can and will do and then maybe post a HJT log and have an Expert look at it.
    http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/
    Your issue is strange and that is what malware does...

Rules:
    Log Analysis/Malware Removal - In order to ensure that advice given to users is consistent and of the highest quality, those who wish to assist with security related matters must first graduate from one of the malware boot camp training universities or be approved by the administration as already being qualified. Those authorized to help with malware issues have a gold shield [​IMG] next to their name and authorized malware removal trainees have a blue shield [​IMG] next to their names. Anyone wishing to participate in a training program should contact a Moderator for more information.

6. oreses

oreses Thread Starter

I'll read and learn

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!