Disk cleanup utility

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jim McDonald

Hi
When I run the disk clean up utility in System Tools, the program simply hangs. Is there an obvious place to download it again inn case of corruption. XP Home came pre-installed of course. The rest of the system seems to be running fine with nothing being reported by anti-virus etc.
Thanks
Jim

Most likely the disk clean up is actually running even though it doesn't seem like it. You can do some manual clean up to ease the load for the disk clean up util. While in Internet Explorer click on Tools>Internet Options, then click on the "Delete Files" button. This will empty your Temp. Internet folder and hopefully make it so the disk clean up can work.

I've heard of problems with the compression part of Disk Cleanup causing hanging, but I don't recall what it was. Maybe someone else recalls this?

Hedda Lora

Jim McDonald

Thank you Stod73 and Heddalora.
I already do in fact always empty the temp folder before starting my weekly round of mantenence tasks but thanks for the suggestion. Also the utility is not hanging because I've left it running for 30 minutes still with no progress. Formerly this utility did its business in about 20 or 30 seconds so I suspect it's a corruption or something.
Jim

This is a problem caused by a corrupt temporary file, and it seems at least one is always corrupt.

To fix it, go to Start > Run, and type:
regedit

Find:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Volumecaches\Compressoldfiles

Right-click on "Compressoldfiles" and delete it.

Now Disk Cleanup will work just fine.

If you rather not edit the registry, download this reg file to your desktop (open with Notepad if you would like to see the contents) and click it to remove the offending entry:

http://tinyurl.com/2t0k

crjdriver

Here is a link to a utility I include in all of my builds. It does a much better job of cleaning than disk cleanup. You can set it for what you want cleaned; one click and it is done. You can set it to save some cookies like your homepage cookie.

I actually had this same problem last nite, I do a disc cleanup.. every other day or so.. First delete temp files, history, etc.

Usually, it goes 1-2-3.. But last nite, It wouldn't budge.. Just heard the tower, making noise, like a process was working.. I even did the control/alt/delete.. as I was concerned..

Finally, I just "let it go" and it took almost l/2 hour.. for what normally takes about 2 minutes, or less.( and I had about the same amount of stuff in there).

I was really concerned... But today, I read this forum. and now know.. what could've happened..

Thanks,, I keep learning,, cause you guys/and gals.. are so informative.

Helene

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online