1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk D Missing/ Disk D Saved File is in Disk C

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by DanLin007, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DanLin007

DanLin007 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I bought a used laptop. I checked it carefully and sure that there was 300Gb Dik C and 500Gb Disk D.

But after a day, Disk D suddenly went missing. I checked the Disk Management and use other partition software but Disk D (w 500Gb) cannot be found.

I tried partition recovery and perhaps i might recover the 500gb in Disk C but no success.

I checked the files in Disk C and noticed a certain file with "ss" as a name and icon like a disk. "ss" format as I check is in Disk Image File.
    And to my surprise, the files originally in Disk D is here in "ss"

After several tries, I figured out that in order to unhide Disk D, I have to open "ss" inside Disk C. Everytime I shut down my laptop and opened it, Disk D is missing. Then I have to click the file "ss" again in Disk C to unhide Disk D.

Though annoying, somehow it solves the problem.

However I realized that my Disk D w/c have 500gb would only saved the files in Disk C "ss" file. Meaning if I only have 50Gb files in Disk D, only that 50 Gb will be saved in "ss" file.

Has anyone encountered this problem? There are no other problems in my laptop except that Disk D file is missing. Can someone help what to do to make Disk D appear as it is? My friend told me to just reformat my laptop but it might ruin my disks. I'm currently using Windows 8.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree with your friend. Do a clean reinstall of Windows and get a fresh start with that laptop.
    Using a laptop that still contains all the debris and issues from its previous owner is not what you want to do.

What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that laptop?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. DanLin007

DanLin007 Thread Starter

Thanks Frank!

4. Bailifeifei

Bailifeifei

You can backup all the files into an external hard drive, format the hard drive and reinstall the system, creating D/E/F drives. After that you can restore the backup image to any of the partitions. For this you can use some free backup software, like free easeus todo backup or paragon backup&recovery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice