Disk Defragment And No Space?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

*ne0n*

OK...A really long time ago, I got rid of my Recycling Bin, I THINK through the registry. It was a legit edit, but since then, I've always been worried about whether or not my stuff that I was "deleting" was actually getting deleted. I have Norton Antivirus 2004 on my computer, so I know there's the Norton Protected Recycling Bin. Is this the same standard Windows Recycling Bin? If not, where is that actual Recycling Bin? I ran a search for it on both my hard drives and I manually looked for it and I still can't find it. However, that's besides the point at the moment.

My 160 gig hard drive is meant for storage of things. All of a sudden, I only have 64 gigs free on it after deleting much stuff. After doing some math and checking out how much space the files on my F: drive took up, it added up to just around 60 gigs. After the partition, Windows only registers 149 gigs of free space. So that means I should have 89 gigs free. So I got all pissed off and ran disk cleanup and disk defragmenter. After the fragmenting was done, it had one file that wouldn't fragment. That file was 624 fragments, with a file size of 25.52 gigabytes, and the File Name showed as \RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00060581.avi. Meh...wtf? Does anybody have ANY clue what's going on? It did this on my 10 gig hard drive as well, only with a smaller file that didn't get fragmented.

The math adds up, 89-25 is 65. Granted I rounded numbers. Anybody...Please help!

dai

i think it is where norton stores the files you have deleted and emptied in case you find later you have made a mistake and want them back

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can disable the Norton Protected Recycle Bin and reclaim all that space. It's under properties of the Recycle Bin, and you have to disable it on a logical drive basis.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online