1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disk defragmenter problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dsabet, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dsabet

dsabet Thread Starter

Getting the following error: "snap-in failed to initialize". What's a snap-in and how do I get the defrag to work again. Any help appreciated.

2. Nutech12

Nutech12

Could u pls be a little more desriptive... i,.e when did u get this error msg, it was a result of certain action(s) etc?

regards

3. Nutech12

Nutech12

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could also try the command prompt defrag to see if an initial defrag that way will allow the other defragmenter to work. The command line defrag is the only way a defrag can be done at all if disk space is too small for the regular defragmenter (15% free space).

I would follow the steps that are outlined in the excellent link supplied by kbaasit first.

For now or later reference, this is how to run the command line defragmenter--->

1) Go to Start > Run, and type:
    cmd <Enter>

2) At the command prompt, type:
    defrag /? <Enter>
    to get a summary of defrag's command switches.

3) To force a defargmentation of drive C:, for example, even if disk space is too small for the regular defragger, type:
    defrag C: -f <Enter>
    to force a defragmentation of the volume.

5. dsabet

dsabet Thread Starter

Thanks kbaasit and Elvandil. The fix kbaasit advised does bring up the defrag screen but it will not run (ie analyze or defrag). Cannot find the dfrg.inf file you mentioned in my windows/inf folder. I get the same error box as on you excellent link. BTW the only reason I know defrag doesn't work is that I have noticed a slow-down in performance and decided to run it. Nothing particular has created this problem. I will attempt Elvandil's recommendation and any other advice. Medicine I know - snap ins (well I though thought they were socket wrenches)

6. Mortay

Mortay

I have this very same problem, and used the fix supplied. Howevever, in command prompt when I press enter after typing regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll under windows\system32 I get this message: "DllRegisterServer in dfrgsnap.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80040154". The same goes for the dfrgui.dll. Any ideas why it is failing?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That error means "Class not registered". It usually means that the dll you are trying to register does not have all its supporting dll's present, or that you don't have sufficient permissions. If you have another Admin account, try signing into that and running regsvr32. Whether you have the credentials depends where the dll was created. This is from MS, but it is still possible to get around the restrictions by using your machine's Admin account:

"DLLRegisterServer in <path to DLL> failed.
    Return Code was: 0x80004005
    This error message occurs when you try to register the DLL on a computer other than the one on which it was created.
    CAUSE
    The WebClass run-time files must be installed to register a WebClass DLL. This error occurs if you try to register the DLL on a computer that does not have the WebClass run-time files installed and registered.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:
    The best way to deploy a WebClass is to use the Package and Deployment Wizard. The Package and Deployment Wizard packages the dependent WebClass run-time DLLs when your WebClass is deployed. For information on how to use this tool, see the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/Mind/0999/faq/faq0999.htm "

Try registering atl.dll to see what message you get.

If there is a missing file, reinstalling defrag with dfrg.inf may solve the problem. That would also replace missing or damaged registry entries. But a full system scan with sfc /scannow may also be required since there are very many dependencies and supporting files for defrag. If you can't find dfrg.inf, br sure you have hidden files unhidden in Folder Options. If you still can't find it, I'll post it here.

8. Mortay

Mortay

I registered atl.dll and it said that it succeeded. After that, dfrgsnap.dll succeeded, as did dfrgui.dll. I can now run XP's defragmenter. Thank you for your help Elvandil, I appreciate it.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. Thank you for the followup.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!