1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Drive will not read disks with data but will read disks with NO data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LCLilCross, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LCLilCross

LCLilCross Thread Starter

Please help me, I have had my computer for about a year now and up untill recently has just given me a problem, My disk drive for some reason unknown to me has just 'given up the goose' so to say, and refuses to read disks with data. I have tried reading a disk with no data and it seems to read that just fine. I done know what is wrong with it but any help would be much abliged.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

CD reader? CD/DVD reader? CD/DVD burner? Floppy? Hard Disk? Zip Drive?

Desktop? Laptop?

Name brand of system and system specs?

3. LCLilCross

"CD reader? CD/DVD reader? CD/DVD burner? Floppy? Hard Disk? Zip Drive?

Desktop? Laptop?

Name brand of system and system specs?"

My problem is with the CD/DVD RW Disk drive, it wont read the disks with data on e.g. a games disk.
    I am using a desktop computer. heres some of the information of my computer

OS - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate

Version - 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

System Type - X86 Based PC

Disk Drive - Optiarc DVD RW AD-5200A ATA Device

Processor - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, 2100Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

4. JAY1969

JAY1969

can you burn to the blank dvds ???

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

How many disks have you tried?

Are the disks you are having a problem with commercially produced factory disks or home made?

6. klc4902

klc4902

I am currently experiencing the same problem. Have u made any progress?

7. DerekC

DerekC

Wow never heard the phase 'given up the goose' before. I've always said ghost..

Have either of you recently installed any cd\dvd burning software. A lot of burning titles have a "direct to cd" feature, which pretty much makes the drive useless for anything but, dragging and dropping files onto blank discs.

8. LCLilCross

Jay1969 - i have just tried to burn onto a blank CD (may i mention that it can only just read blank disks but still takes a while) and when i try to put data on the disk it it ejects the disk and a message pops up sayin please insert a disk into the drive.

Alex Ethridge - I have tried commercial disks like games and other software like Macromedia and home made disks but the drive refuses to read any of them.

DerekC - Nah i aint installed any burning software, i do have nero if that helps, but like i said i cant even write onto a blank disk.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Sounds like the drive may be bad. I recommend shortcutting this process by connecting the drive to another machine to see if it works there. If it does, you have a Windows problem. If it doesn't, time to trash can it.

10. LCLilCross

Ive decided to just get a new CD/DVD RW drive, it is clear that this one is bust lol.

Thankyou all for your comments and helping me

11. skinner88

skinner88

just check manufactors website for new firmware updates as yours maybe corrupted or some times the manufactors realse fault drivers with the hardware as they try to rush it out, i had the same with my dvd/rw

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice