1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk drive will not show up!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tetris556, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tetris556

tetris556 Thread Starter

I have just gotten a new and very powerful computer for Christmas, but the disk drive doesn't appear on the My Computer menu. I have checked the bios, and it is there, but Windows 7 doesn't seem to find it. I have Windows 7 64 bit and a Gigabyte 870A-UD3 motherboard.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

assuming the comp is acrually working/running?

start click my computer organise layout tick menu detail navigation then folder/search options reset defaults on both options if no good go back to that point untick hide drives

if comp not actually working ignore above !!

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

(y)(y) :D

4. Hughv

Hughv

Control Panel/Folder Options/View
    Uncheck "Hide empty drives."

5. tetris556

tetris556 Thread Starter

I tried both of these, and they didn't work :/

The computer runs beautifully otherwise.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Start - Computer. What does show up? Attaching a screen shot of that Windows Explorer window would be nice.

What, if any, warnings or errors are there in Device Manager? What is listed in Device Manager under Disk drives?

7. tetris556

tetris556 Thread Starter

In MY Computer I see, my USB drives, my 2 Hard Drives, and that's it. There are no warnings in my Device Manager either.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

That's several disk drives. That doesn't match well with "but the disk drive doesn't appear." :confused:

9. ttifrum

ttifrum

are you talking about a new hard drive that's not formatted? if you are then you may need to go into disk management and format it. To do this right click on 'Computer' either on your desktop or by clicking Start and right clicking on Computer in the right hand column. In the right click menu is an option to 'manage' click this and then click on Disk Management under 'Storage' this will then list all the drives on your computer, at which point if you new drive is listed it may appear as something like 'not initialized', right click on the drive and it should give you the option to format, then all you need to do is follow the prompts.
    hope this helps
    Michael

10. tetris556

tetris556 Thread Starter

Sorry, when I say hard drive, I mean what you store data on, when I say disk drive, I mean what I put DVDs and CDs in.

11. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

You could check the CD/DVD optical disk drive power and data connections. If you put a CD disk in your drive, then look in the my computer for it showing ? If you see this drive listed in the device manager, then try re-installing the device driver for it.

12. tetris556

tetris556 Thread Starter

The drive is not listed in device manager, or the controllers. The bios read it though, so I can still use my ubuntu live disk.

13. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

Open the Control Panel - Admiistrative tools - Computer Management - Disk management. You should see the dvd dive there. If it has not a letter assigned to it, give it the next sequential one (E?), and see if that can sort it out.

14. tetris556

tetris556 Thread Starter

I checked disk management, and I found a Drive without a letter called system reserved, but that wasn't it.

15. ttifrum

ttifrum

if this is what I think it is this is a known problem with windows that goes back to XP. For some reason some of the CD rom filters in the registry get corrupted, which means that the CD/DVD drive doesn't show up in Windows Explorer.
    The work round is to edit the registry, if you're feeling brave; if you navigate to this setting and delete the Upper Filter setting and the Lower Filter, if it's there, and reboot you should get your optical drive back

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
    Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
    Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
    Exit Registry and Reboot

hope this helps

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971939