1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Error Alerting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lone Stranger, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Thread Starter

I am wondering if there is a way for WinXP to pop-up a window or an icon in the notification area when the event log starts reporting errors such as bad block on disk. I had a PC at work lose a hard drive last week and just by fluke I decided to look through the log the previous day and noticed many disk errors in the last 2 months with most of them showing up for that current day. If I had caught it earlier I would have been able to back up more of the data in time. I got most of it but a few important files could no longer be read. It eventually failed to boot so I hooked the drive up to my Linux PC at home and salvaged some so the data that I couldn't get earlier.
    It's funny that with that particular PC at work, I do actually make regular monthly backups but the latest one was one day too late.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!