Disk failure- backup problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

My Office

Have a disk failure. Badly need to create backup of several files. Mounted drive as a slave on my other computer but it fails to recognize it, although jumper pins are set OK. Hence, can't use Windows to backup stuff. I can backup small files using abridged version of DOS on Emergency Startup disk. However, can't copy files over 1.44 MB to a floppy. Does anyone know of software that will allow a large file to be copied to multiple floppies in DOS??

I'm in a bind. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

See if you can find pkzip for Dos anywhere. It ran in DOS and could zip files across several floppys. It was free or shareware at one time. BOL

Can you mount the drive as a slave and use the Dos copy command to copy the files between hard drives?

Mount the BAD drive in another computer on its OWN IDE cable by unplugging the CD-ROM drives that are using the 2nd IDE connector on the motherboard.

Your two drives maybe in conflict.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Is the second drive partitioned and formated. How is it jumpered and on what IDE cable is it on? Also, check the BIOS to see that the channel/device is not set to disabled or None.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online