Disk I/O ERROR message, Please Help!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RayAnn256

I again find myself turning to the great folks here for some help. Our system runs win 2000pro. Been working fine, latest updates, we run updated norton a/v system works, ad-aware, spybot s/d. We shut the system down for the wkend. When I start the comp this morning, I get the Dell start up screen, then a black screen that reads.
"DISK I/O ERROR: STATUS=00001002"
"NT DETECT FAILED"
Could someone please tell me what this means in "layman terms" I've searched microsoft's data base and nothing I can find seems to cover it. Any explination of the terms, and or help heading me in the right direction would be greatly appreaciated. Thank You

This might be the start of a failed hard drive. I would try first to see if the hard drive is recognized in the system BIOS. If it is detected there, then proceed with the following to see if it migh help the situation. Also double check to see if a floppy disk was left in the drive, this has happened to me before..

Taken from "http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/q242112/"

SYMPTOMS
When you start a computer running Windows, the boot process may not succeed, and you may receive the following error message:
NTDetect Failed
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Ntdetect.com file is missing or damaged.
Back to the top

Windows 2000
To resolve this issue in Windows 2000: 1. Start the computer from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
2. At the "Welcome to Setup" menu select R for repair.
3. Select Manual Repair.
4. Select only Startup Environment from the repair options.
5. When prompted, insert the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD). If you do not have an ERD you can proceed without one.
6. When the repair process is completed, remove the ERD from the floppy disk drive, and then press ENTER to restart the computer.

RayAnn256

Thanks for the reply GotMikey. I'll try that in the morning when I get back to work. I'll let you know my results. Again thank you!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online