1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk I/O Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dawntreader3, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawntreader3

Dawntreader3 Thread Starter

I have been trying to install a scavenged hard drive into my computer (Both the original hard drive and the new one are Compaq's) and after the computer recognizes that there is a hard drive I get this error message "disk I/O error, Replace the disk and then press any key."
    I have tried repeatedly to find help through PC troubleshooting manuals, PC repair manuals, and even online help but nothing and no one seems to know what to do other than take it to a computer store and try to have it fixed.
    If there is a feasible way to cause this scavenged drive to boot could anyone please tell me what it might be?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Disk I/O errors are usually due to a bad controller. Does the same error occur with every drive you install in there?

3. WarC

WarC

Compaq does funky crap to its harddrives to prevent the very thing your trying to do. My father is a Network Tech at a plastics manufacturing company, and every once and awhile he has the god awful job of fixing a broken Compaq. He contacted Compaq about this and if you dig deep enough someone there will admit they screw with all there machines and parts. I dunno how they do it. Let this serve as a warning! Compaq is evil!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice