1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Imaging to backup windows partition

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cabbage42II, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cabbage42II

Cabbage42II Account Closed Thread Starter

I am getting ready to reformat and reinstall Windows XP Home on my machine and I am going to partition the disk so I have separate drives for the OS, data, portable style programs, etc.

After I get everything set up on my C drive (where Windows will be) I want to create an image of it so I can easy restore it to that point. I see that most people like Acronis software for doing this, but I really don't want to have to buy something that I really only plan to use once.

My question is, if I download the free trial of Acronis TrueImage, will I be able to create a standalone DVD that I can boot to to restore my Windows partition without having the program reinstalled?

Otherwise, if anybody else has a suggestion on how I can solve this problem, please let me know.

Thanks.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would say just buy it. If you think you are only going to use it once, you are nuts. You can buy it for less than $30 on most e-commerce sites. Don't buy it directly from Acronis.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

NewEgg currently has a special on TI for $25 shipped for free. It's a very good deal on an excellent product.

4. Cabbage42II

Hmm... I'm a little hesitant to run out and buy this product, considering the number of posts I've read on this site about people having problems with it.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Really? I know of one recently, how many posts have you seen? I see LOTS of posts about problems with Windows, but you still use that. ;)

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

LOL :eek: ;) :D (y) :rolleyes: :p

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

8. Cabbage42II

When I did a search yesterday, I saw a few posts where people were talking about "all of the problems people have been having with Acronis lately." And people recommended to use the trial first. Some people were recommending Ghost instead.

So anyway, nobody actually answered my original question. (Is Acronis paying everybody here to advertise or what? :p)

9. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I use Casper XP ver. 3.0, lol.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

They aren't paying me ... Darnit !!
    I have had NO problems using it with my External HDs for backing up my operating system.

Yes ... Casper is a lot simplier to use for Cloning purposes only ...
    But Acronis can also Clone .. for a cheaper price... and does a lot more.

I don't recommend trying to use Acronis for making DVD System backups.

I switched to Acroins ... after I couldn't get Ghost to work.
    Get a free trial and check it out.

11. Cabbage42II

Yeah I guess I'm just going to give it a try and see what happens.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice