Solved Disk Management confusion

Abie2

I have 2 h d's, each one has an OS, win 7,win 10. one old hd with win 7 is an 80gb capacity and the other SSSD win 10 240 gb capacity. When I check my Dish manager, this is what i see ( enclosed pic ) Could someone tell me where is my 80 gb hd?

Attachments

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Scroll down the bottom pane. What's below the C: drive?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you just the two drives in the system? Two drives are showing, but neither is 80GB. The F: appears to be the SSD. The other looks to be about a 500GB drive.

Abie2

Have you just the two drives in the system? Two drives are showing, but neither is 80GB. The F: appears to be the SSD. The other looks to be about a 500GB drive.
Exactly....that is why I sent this post. I said to myself, where is my Maxtor hd 80 gb drive? Is the possibility because i have been getting each time i boot up, chkdsk? BTW, even when i start my new SSD win 10, i am confronted with chkdsk. I let it run its course, but that does not prevent it from running each time i boot up.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It sounds like that Maxtor is going south on you. Even though you boot from the SSD, it's still connected, so the OS sees it and reports an issue, hence the chkdsk. It's time you replace that drive before you lose everything on it. You may still be able to clone it to a new drive.

Abie2

It sounds like that Maxtor is going south on you. Even though you boot from the SSD, it's still connected, so the OS sees it and reports an issue, hence the chkdsk. It's time you replace that drive before you lose everything on it. You may still be able to clone it to a new drive.
I'm short on cash even if SSD's hd are cheap these days. I just bought the one that is there now with Win 10. Judging by this Manage confusion on my part, can I clone win 7 to a newly created partition on the existing SSD hd temporary , and when i get the new drive, move it there? BTW, I thought an image file is better than clone? When i recently reinstalled win 7 to the old hd, i completely forgot about sp 1 or was it sp 3...maybe that is why i keep getting the chkdsk. I bought that disk when Win 7 was fading out, so wouldn't it have all those SP's included? Yes, it does say includes SP1.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What is a disk image?
A disk image stores all of the information required to completely restore specific disks (or their individual partitions) exactly as they were when the image was taken. It essentially compresses all the data on your hard drive into something that can be more easily stored (and, if needed, later recovered).

What is disk cloning?
A disk clone is an an exact copy of an entire hard drive, or specific partitions on a hard drive. Unlike a disk image, it is uncompressed, which means it can immediately be moved to a different drive. Once you do this, everything on the target disk will be overwritten and you’ll be left with two identical drives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As you can see, imaging and cloning are two approaches to a drive replication. If you intend to keep a copy of your current Win7 drive on your SSD, you'll want to create an image of it. That image (essentially a file) can then be used to restore the OS once you obtain a new drive. It does not have to be an SSD, it can be a spinning HDD. They are still considerably cheaper.

I just bought the one that is there now with Win 10
Are you saying that you bought the drive with Win10 already installed? Most unusual.

Abie2

What is a disk image?
A disk image stores all of the information required to completely restore specific disks (or their individual partitions) exactly as they were when the image was taken. It essentially compresses all the data on your hard drive into something that can be more easily stored (and, if needed, later recovered).

What is disk cloning?
A disk clone is an an exact copy of an entire hard drive, or specific partitions on a hard drive. Unlike a disk image, it is uncompressed, which means it can immediately be moved to a different drive. Once you do this, everything on the target disk will be overwritten and you’ll be left with two identical drives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As you can see, imaging and cloning are two approaches to a drive replication. If you intend to keep a copy of your current Win7 drive on your SSD, you'll want to create an image of it. That image (essentially a file) can then be used to restore the OS once you obtain a new drive. It does not have to be an SSD, it can be a spinning HDD. They are still considerably cheaper.

Are you saying that you bought the drive with Win10 already installed? Most unusual.
No, I installed it after i bought the SSD drive. I owe you an apology...the reading on M.D. is correct...i got confused by the name Maxtor. It is a 500 gb Sata hd. which I bought 2016. Prior to that purchase, I always bought Maxtor hd's and the last one was 80gb. So image seems the way to go. i see on my SSD drive a section of system recovery. Now i suspect that is a backup of my win 10, correct? If so, is it possible to make an image of win 7 and place it on my desktop until i buy another SSD? Of course, it would be the desktop of Win 10.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK, that's that mystery solved ... ;-)

The System Recovery partition on your SSD is fairly small, only half a gigabyte. Not worth messing with. I'm not sure how much you've got used of the Maxtor drive. Creating an image will compress it somewhat. In other words, if you're using 150GB of the 500, the image file may be only about 100GB (just guessing, not sure how compressible your files may be). you may be better using an external HDD, if you've got one. I don't know how much space you've got free on the SSD.

Abie2

The Win 7 is 33 gb's on the Sata drive. I got 103 gb's free on the SSD drive. Something weird came up on the screen yesterday, While on Win 7, I got a pop up message that i have 3 days left to activate Win 7....this morning again cut down to 2. I never got a message like that with my previous installation of win 7 with its disk. I recall entering the Product keys...doesn't that automatically activate a system? On another weird note, again this morning I just happened to glance at my turned off desktop and noticed the steady light at the bottom was flickering...it was always on steady.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you try to activate it? Entering the Product Key is part of the process. Once online, you can activate online.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "steady light".

Abie2

Did you try to activate it? Entering the Product Key is part of the process. Once online, you can activate online.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "steady light".
I don't know what you mean 'did I activate it"? 5 years ago when i bought the same disk that i am using now for win 7, i installed it the same way and at that time I never received a pop up message to activate it...so why now? I have no idea on the next step. We all have a steady light with our TV's and and etc. so i always noticed that i had one shown at the bottom of the desktop..but like the TV's it is constant...but not this morning as i looked at it across the room. I thought i was going to have a problem booting...but it didn't. I forgot the terminology used about those steady lights on a TV and etc. something about its 'ready' to be turned on.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Typically the OS suggests you activate it as one of the final setup processes. Go ahead and allow it to try to activate online.

OK, sounds like a standby power indicator. Usually, on a computer, the power light will slow blink until you wake the PC. Are you sure it isn't the HDD activity light flashing?

Abie2

Typically the OS suggests you activate it as one of the final setup processes. Go ahead and allow it to try to activate online.

OK, sounds like a standby power indicator. Usually, on a computer, the power light will slow blink until you wake the PC. Are you sure it isn't the HDD activity light flashing?
This is crazy each time i try on line to get info on how to activate the answers only pertain to win 10....i tried to activate on line and i had to reenter my P K and then i get an error code. I enter the code and it only tells me to check my date and time to make sure its correct. I check and all is correct. It then tells me to phone Microsoft, but i could not find their number on their site...they have only virtual response, with no help. I never had to go through this 5 yrs ago, why now? WOULD u HAVE THEIR NUMBER HANDY?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online