Solved Disk Management confusion

Abie2

wHAT A GIMMICK! aLL HELP THAT i SEEK REFER TO 'pay' services using Microsofts name. I refuse to pay just to get a legitmate process activated. Maybe I should just ignore it cause i seem to have, so far, no problem using it, as i am posting this message proves.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This is from MS web site:

To activate Windows 7 by phone:

1. Select the Start button
    Start button icon
    , right-click Computer, select Properties, and then select Activate Windows now.
  2. Choose Show me other ways to activate.
  3. Enter your Windows 7 product key, and then select Next.
  4. Select Use the automated phone system.
    Administrator permission required
    You may be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
  5. Select your location (or the location nearest to you) from the drop-down list, and then select Next.
  6. Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

Abie2

This is from MS web site:

To activate Windows 7 by phone:

1. Select the Start button
    Start button icon
    , right-click Computer, select Properties, and then select Activate Windows now.
  2. Choose Show me other ways to activate.
  3. Enter your Windows 7 product key, and then select Next.
  4. Select Use the automated phone system.
    Administrator permission required
    You may be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
  5. Select your location (or the location nearest to you) from the drop-down list, and then select Next.
  6. Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.
I did that chore and got nowhere. It asks me to enter my P K and then i get a code error which informs me that his error is also for win 10..but calling Microsoft should easily fix the problem. Its impossible to get their phone number, but not impossible that most Microsoft helpers are of the pay variety, which I refuse to pay....On an important note i would like your opinion on what i did recently a win 7 backup to my SSD drive, hopefully temp....after i did that, i read that i could have used a cd-rw from a burner which we all have internally...but i do not know if it could be put on 1 disc. My dvd-r disc only holds 4 gb's which could be done on 2 discs and then when i could afford another hd, move it there...does that sound plauseable?

Abie2

I did that chore and got nowhere. It asks me to enter my P K and then i get a code error which informs me that his error is also for win 10..but calling Microsoft should easily fix the problem. Its impossible to get their phone number, but not impossible that most Microsoft helpers are of the pay variety, which I refuse to pay....On an important note i would like your opinion on what i did recently a win 7 backup to my SSD drive, hopefully temp....after i did that, i read that i could have used a cd-rw from a burner which we all have internally...but i do not know if it could be put on 1 disc. My dvd-r disc only holds 4 gb's which could be done on 2 discs and then when i could afford another hd, move it there...does that sound plauseable?
I had done this before i read your last suggestion....now listen to this. The first time i did enter my P K it accepted it, but still suggested that i call Microsoft. Just after reading your last post, I attempted it again, now it tells me that my P K is invalid...I did it 3 times and each time it comes back after reading the 3rd cluster it said it was invalid. I believe there are only 5 clusters and i check and rechecked those numbers and they are what i see on the label of my disc. What next? do u think that win 7 will stop working tomorrow? BTW, those same P K got me to install win 7, so how could they be invalid?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This is from MS website, so it should still be possible to activate Win7.

1631840420183.png
I don't know what the latest problem is. It should not lock you out. I'm not there, so I really cannot say for sure what's going on.

Also from MS web site:

What happens if you don’t Activate Windows?

If you choose not to activate Windows, the operating system will go into what is called Reduced Functional mode. Meaning, certain functionality will be disabled.

Benefits you gain from activating:

- Access to all Windows Updates with confidence that your Windows software has the latest security and reliability enhancements from Microsoft.
- Support for your software, including downloads reserved exclusively for genuine Windows software.

A Windows 7 installation in Reduced functional mode (notice the watermark at the right hand corner).

If you don’t activate your Windows software

- You will be prompted every time you log in to Activate.
- You will receive periodic prompts to activate your software.
- Certain visual experiences will be disabled such as the Windows Aero Glass theme.
- Won't be able to update software such as Microsoft Security Essentials.

I installed Windows 7 Home on a computer about a year ago. It had no problem activating automatically when I connected the computer to the Internet.

Abie2

I installed Windows 7 Home on a computer about a year ago. It had no problem activating automatically when I connected the computer to the Internet.
Thanks, you have been patient...I just cannot believe what is going on here. I did not get a warning this time and so far win 7, no problem as i key this post. I may try to reinstall it on either the SSD hd or the new one that i will eventually buy. Microsoft could answer to this problem, if only one can get to them without paying for it. Perhaps, unknowingly, they supply a 'lock' on a legitimate disc after certain years as to make them invalid.

I forgot to mention that about a year ago someone gave me an old Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop they bought at an auto junk yard for $1. The laptop wouldn't work but I salvaged its hard drive. Scanning the hard drive I extracted product keys for Windows 7 Home and Office 2007 Standard. Searching the Internet I found install ISOs for both of them. I successfully installed both of them on a computer. They both activated online OK.

BTW, I knew the Windows 7 Home was retail because research showed that the laptop originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium.

When programs like Windows or Office are activated some kind of hardware profile is made of your computer. These are used to prevent the software from being installed on more than one computer. If a major change is made on your computer like a new motherboard then the profile changes enough to cause a future automatic activation to fail. Microsoft has to be called to obtain an activation.

The only problem with this is if the software is OEM which technically can't be reinstalled on another computer. If you have to call Microsoft and can convince Microsoft that your OEM software is really being installed on the original computer they will reactivate again. Note this should not be a problem if the software is retail.

BTW, even though the Windows and Office I installed were previously installed on another computer I activated them OK on my computer. That is because the activation resets after a period of time (maybe 120 days???). That is probably done so that the same software can be reactivated again some time in the future on the same computer without problem.

Abie2

I forgot to mention that about a year ago someone gave me an old Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop they bought at an auto junk yard for $1. The laptop wouldn't work but I salvaged its hard drive. Scanning the hard drive I extracted product keys for Windows 7 Home and Office 2007 Standard. Searching the Internet I found install ISOs for both of them. I successfully installed both of them on a computer. They both activated online OK.

BTW, I knew the Windows 7 Home was retail because research showed that the laptop originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium.

When programs like Windows or Office are activated some kind of hardware profile is made of your computer. These are used to prevent the software from being installed on more than one computer. If a major change is made on your computer like a new motherboard then the profile changes enough to cause a future automatic activation to fail. Microsoft has to be called to obtain an activation.

The only problem with this is if the software is OEM which technically can't be reinstalled on another computer. If you have to call Microsoft and can convince Microsoft that your OEM software is really being installed on the original computer they will reactivate again. Note this should not be a problem if the software is retail.

BTW, even though the Windows and Office I installed were previously installed on another computer I activated them OK on my computer. That is because the activation resets after a period of time (maybe 120 days???). That is probably done so that the same software can be reactivated again some time in the future on the same computer without problem.
Interesting!!
" If you have to call Microsoft and can convince Microsoft that your OEM software is really being installed on the original computer they will reactivate again. Note this should not be a problem if the software is retail."

The problem is finding a phone number of Microsoft so i can reveal my problem and hot those other sites that always have 'Microsoft' written in it so to make someone believe your actually talking to a Microsoft representative. So far i am not having any problems with win 7 and i didn't even get the one day warning, which i was expecting, also, I am not even getting the typical chkdsk at bootup. Go figure,

Abie2

Maybe it finally activated?
I spoke too soon...this morning I got another reminder with various reasons why i can't activate....you know the list they bring up...counterfiet and etc. and also perhaps i am reinstalling win 7 on another pc, ( which I'm not ). The message recommended me to go to Microsoft's community site, which I did and signed on...but i can't see how local's could help...this seems to have to come from Microsoft directly. Just wondering....after my desktop had crashed, and I reinstalled win 7, would that imply that its another computer? I don't see how.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not if it is the same hardware, specifically motherboard/CPU.

Abie2

I spoke too soon...this morning I got another reminder with various reasons why i can't activate....you know the list they bring up...counterfiet and etc. and also perhaps i am reinstalling win 7 on another pc, ( which I'm not ). The message recommended me to go to Microsoft's community site, which I did and signed on...but i can't see how local's could help...this seems to have to come from Microsoft directly. Just wondering....after my desktop had crashed, and I reinstalled win 7, would that imply that its another computer? I don't see how.
This is what i read on microsoft community by another buyer with the same problem.

If you made substantial hardware changes to your PC, such as replacing your hard drive or motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated. For Windows 10 (version 1607 or later), you can add your Microsoft account to help you reactivate Windows 10 after making a hardware change.

" I made no change...same HD and same desktop, same Mother board. I guess this is going to happen to win 10 eventually, so to force one to buy another system, which in the future may not be valid.

Abie2

This is what i read on microsoft community by another buyer with the same problem.

If you made substantial hardware changes to your PC, such as replacing your hard drive or motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated. For Windows 10 (version 1607 or later), you can add your Microsoft account to help you reactivate Windows 10 after making a hardware change.

" I made no change...same HD and same desktop, same Mother board. I guess this is going to happen to win 10 eventually, so to force one to buy another system, which in the future may not be valid.

.I just found this response from a microsoft community win 7 member...which is interesting although it says to Aug 2021. I don't understand with the "download and save bit"...download what? Save what? would u possibly know?

If you did a clean re-install of Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, you should do 2 things next.

1. Download and save and then run *Simplix Update Pack 21.8.11* - which will update Windows 7 SP1 64-bit to August 2021.

2. Download and save and then install the necessary drivers (chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet, wireless, etc.).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online