Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disk Management confusion

Solved 
3K views 42 replies 4 participants last post by  Gr3iz 
#1 ·
I have 2 h d's, each one has an OS, win 7,win 10. one old hd with win 7 is an 80gb capacity and the other SSSD win 10 240 gb capacity. When I check my Dish manager, this is what i see ( enclosed pic ) Could someone tell me where is my 80 gb hd?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Have you just the two drives in the system? Two drives are showing, but neither is 80GB. The F: appears to be the SSD. The other looks to be about a 500GB drive.

#5 ·
Exactly....that is why I sent this post. I said to myself, where is my Maxtor hd 80 gb drive? Is the possibility because i have been getting each time i boot up, chkdsk? BTW, even when i start my new SSD win 10, i am confronted with chkdsk. I let it run its course, but that does not prevent it from running each time i boot up.

#6 ·
It sounds like that Maxtor is going south on you. Even though you boot from the SSD, it's still connected, so the OS sees it and reports an issue, hence the chkdsk. It's time you replace that drive before you lose everything on it. You may still be able to clone it to a new drive.

#7 ·
I'm short on cash even if SSD's hd are cheap these days. I just bought the one that is there now with Win 10. Judging by this Manage confusion on my part, can I clone win 7 to a newly created partition on the existing SSD hd temporary , and when i get the new drive, move it there? BTW, I thought an image file is better than clone? When i recently reinstalled win 7 to the old hd, i completely forgot about sp 1 or was it sp 3...maybe that is why i keep getting the chkdsk. I bought that disk when Win 7 was fading out, so wouldn't it have all those SP's included? Yes, it does say includes SP1.

#10 ·
OK, that's that mystery solved ... ;-)

The System Recovery partition on your SSD is fairly small, only half a gigabyte. Not worth messing with. I'm not sure how much you've got used of the Maxtor drive. Creating an image will compress it somewhat. In other words, if you're using 150GB of the 500, the image file may be only about 100GB (just guessing, not sure how compressible your files may be). you may be better using an external HDD, if you've got one. I don't know how much space you've got free on the SSD.

#11 ·
The Win 7 is 33 gb's on the Sata drive. I got 103 gb's free on the SSD drive. Something weird came up on the screen yesterday, While on Win 7, I got a pop up message that i have 3 days left to activate Win 7....this morning again cut down to 2. I never got a message like that with my previous installation of win 7 with its disk. I recall entering the Product keys...doesn't that automatically activate a system? On another weird note, again this morning I just happened to glance at my turned off desktop and noticed the steady light at the bottom was flickering...it was always on steady.

#12 ·
Did you try to activate it? Entering the Product Key is part of the process. Once online, you can activate online.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "steady light".

#13 ·
I don't know what you mean 'did I activate it"? 5 years ago when i bought the same disk that i am using now for win 7, i installed it the same way and at that time I never received a pop up message to activate it...so why now? I have no idea on the next step. We all have a steady light with our TV's and and etc. so i always noticed that i had one shown at the bottom of the desktop..but like the TV's it is constant...but not this morning as i looked at it across the room. I thought i was going to have a problem booting...but it didn't. I forgot the terminology used about those steady lights on a TV and etc. something about its 'ready' to be turned on.

#14 ·
Typically the OS suggests you activate it as one of the final setup processes. Go ahead and allow it to try to activate online.

OK, sounds like a standby power indicator. Usually, on a computer, the power light will slow blink until you wake the PC. Are you sure it isn't the HDD activity light flashing?

#15 ·
This is crazy each time i try on line to get info on how to activate the answers only pertain to win 10....i tried to activate on line and i had to reenter my P K and then i get an error code. I enter the code and it only tells me to check my date and time to make sure its correct. I check and all is correct. It then tells me to phone Microsoft, but i could not find their number on their site...they have only virtual response, with no help. I never had to go through this 5 yrs ago, why now? WOULD u HAVE THEIR NUMBER HANDY?

#16 ·
wHAT A GIMMICK! aLL HELP THAT i SEEK REFER TO 'pay' services using Microsofts name. I refuse to pay just to get a legitmate process activated. Maybe I should just ignore it cause i seem to have, so far, no problem using it, as i am posting this message proves.

#17 ·
This is from MS web site:

To activate Windows 7 by phone:

1. Select the Start button
    Start button icon
    , right-click Computer, select Properties, and then select Activate Windows now.
  2. Choose Show me other ways to activate.
  3. Enter your Windows 7 product key, and then select Next.
  4. Select Use the automated phone system.
    Administrator permission required
    You may be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
  5. Select your location (or the location nearest to you) from the drop-down list, and then select Next.
  6. Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

#18 ·
I did that chore and got nowhere. It asks me to enter my P K and then i get a code error which informs me that his error is also for win 10..but calling Microsoft should easily fix the problem. Its impossible to get their phone number, but not impossible that most Microsoft helpers are of the pay variety, which I refuse to pay....On an important note i would like your opinion on what i did recently a win 7 backup to my SSD drive, hopefully temp....after i did that, i read that i could have used a cd-rw from a burner which we all have internally...but i do not know if it could be put on 1 disc. My dvd-r disc only holds 4 gb's which could be done on 2 discs and then when i could afford another hd, move it there...does that sound plauseable?

#20 ·
This is from MS website, so it should still be possible to activate Win7.

Rectangle Font Art Circle Paper

I don't know what the latest problem is. It should not lock you out. I'm not there, so I really cannot say for sure what's going on.

Also from MS web site:

What happens if you don't Activate Windows?

If you choose not to activate Windows, the operating system will go into what is called Reduced Functional mode. Meaning, certain functionality will be disabled.

Benefits you gain from activating:

- Access to all Windows Updates with confidence that your Windows software has the latest security and reliability enhancements from Microsoft.
- Support for your software, including downloads reserved exclusively for genuine Windows software.
A Windows 7 installation in Reduced functional mode (notice the watermark at the right hand corner).

If you don't activate your Windows software

- You will be prompted every time you log in to Activate.
- You will receive periodic prompts to activate your software.
- Certain visual experiences will be disabled such as the Windows Aero Glass theme.
- Won't be able to update software such as Microsoft Security Essentials.

#22 ·
Thanks, you have been patient...I just cannot believe what is going on here. I did not get a warning this time and so far win 7, no problem as i key this post. I may try to reinstall it on either the SSD hd or the new one that i will eventually buy. Microsoft could answer to this problem, if only one can get to them without paying for it. Perhaps, unknowingly, they supply a 'lock' on a legitimate disc after certain years as to make them invalid.

#23 ·
I forgot to mention that about a year ago someone gave me an old Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop they bought at an auto junk yard for $1. The laptop wouldn't work but I salvaged its hard drive. Scanning the hard drive I extracted product keys for Windows 7 Home and Office 2007 Standard. Searching the Internet I found install ISOs for both of them. I successfully installed both of them on a computer. They both activated online OK.

BTW, I knew the Windows 7 Home was retail because research showed that the laptop originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium.

When programs like Windows or Office are activated some kind of hardware profile is made of your computer. These are used to prevent the software from being installed on more than one computer. If a major change is made on your computer like a new motherboard then the profile changes enough to cause a future automatic activation to fail. Microsoft has to be called to obtain an activation.

The only problem with this is if the software is OEM which technically can't be reinstalled on another computer. If you have to call Microsoft and can convince Microsoft that your OEM software is really being installed on the original computer they will reactivate again. Note this should not be a problem if the software is retail.

BTW, even though the Windows and Office I installed were previously installed on another computer I activated them OK on my computer. That is because the activation resets after a period of time (maybe 120 days???). That is probably done so that the same software can be reactivated again some time in the future on the same computer without problem.

#24 ·
Interesting!!
" If you have to call Microsoft and can convince Microsoft that your OEM software is really being installed on the original computer they will reactivate again. Note this should not be a problem if the software is retail."

The problem is finding a phone number of Microsoft so i can reveal my problem and hot those other sites that always have 'Microsoft' written in it so to make someone believe your actually talking to a Microsoft representative. So far i am not having any problems with win 7 and i didn't even get the one day warning, which i was expecting, also, I am not even getting the typical chkdsk at bootup. Go figure,

#26 ·
I spoke too soon...this morning I got another reminder with various reasons why i can't activate....you know the list they bring up...counterfiet and etc. and also perhaps i am reinstalling win 7 on another pc, ( which I'm not ). The message recommended me to go to Microsoft's community site, which I did and signed on...but i can't see how local's could help...this seems to have to come from Microsoft directly. Just wondering....after my desktop had crashed, and I reinstalled win 7, would that imply that its another computer? I don't see how.

#28 ·
I spoke too soon...this morning I got another reminder with various reasons why i can't activate....you know the list they bring up...counterfiet and etc. and also perhaps i am reinstalling win 7 on another pc, ( which I'm not ). The message recommended me to go to Microsoft's community site, which I did and signed on...but i can't see how local's could help...this seems to have to come from Microsoft directly. Just wondering....after my desktop had crashed, and I reinstalled win 7, would that imply that its another computer? I don't see how.
This is what i read on microsoft community by another buyer with the same problem.

If you made substantial hardware changes to your PC, such as replacing your hard drive or motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated. For Windows 10 (version 1607 or later), you can add your Microsoft account to help you reactivate Windows 10 after making a hardware change.

" I made no change...same HD and same desktop, same Mother board. I guess this is going to happen to win 10 eventually, so to force one to buy another system, which in the future may not be valid.

#29 ·
.I just found this response from a microsoft community win 7 member...which is interesting although it says to Aug 2021. I don't understand with the "download and save bit"...download what? Save what? would u possibly know?

If you did a clean re-install of Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, you should do 2 things next.

1. Download and save and then run *Simplix Update Pack 21.8.11* - which will update Windows 7 SP1 64-bit to August 2021.

2. Download and save and then install the necessary drivers (chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet, wireless, etc.).

#31 ·
Are you even using 64-bit Win7?
Yes, definitely ....

Here is some info about that software:
https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/simplix_updatepack.html
"The Sponsored Search by Quick Forms add-on provides you with a New Tab page and Homepage that includes a search bar to quickly search the web, quick links to popular sites, access to various form sites, as well as the ability to perform web searches powered by Bing.com from your address bar. Click "Continue" to install our New Tab Firefox Extension."

The above in quotes is what i got going to that link...seems to open a can of worms...Bing browser, add on of Firefox and etc. I don't see why i need it anyway...i did not the first time i installed win 7 5 years ago. I knew I spoke too soon, now i see a small black box near my task bare reminding me of it being an invalid version and yet it keeps asking for my Product key, which i have entered numerous times that i almost have them in memory...lol.

#32 ·
On the page that link above takes me to, I clicked on one of the circled links and the software started downloading. I stopped it halfway through because I don't need it.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

You don't need it, but it looks like it is supposed to install several updates that you'd end up downloading piecemeal. I haven't used it and haven't had a Win7 system in a couple of years now. I was one of the holdouts for a while, but my latest system I built for Win10.

#33 ·
On the page that link above takes me to, I clicked on one of the circled links and the software started downloading. I stopped it halfway through because I don't need it.

View attachment 290969

You don't need it, but it looks like it is supposed to install several updates that you'd end up downloading piecemeal. I haven't used it and haven't had a Win7 system in a couple of years now. I was one of the holdouts for a while, but my latest system I built for Win10.
Will these so called updates activate my Win 7? I think not. Like I said, its a way for Micro in getting you to use their browser, Bing. If only I could speak live to someone in Microsoft. Its disheartening to know that u buy a legitimate product and they tell u it is not.

#34 ·
About 2 years ago or so, my Win7 Home that came installed on a HP computer suddenly complained it wasn't 'Genuine'.
I searched the Internet but none of the recommendations worked until our administrator suggested a fix.
It worked.
Sorry, I don't remember what it was but if you search using my screen name and terms like 'Win 7' and 'genuine' you'll probably find it.
Or ask Cookiegal if she remembers.
As I remember it was posted in the Win 7 forum.
And it was a simple fix.
Although I've used the automated phone call process to MS to activate Win 10, with no issues, I don't remember having to do that to solve my problem with Win 7.

Maybe it'll work for you?
Good luck.

#35 ·
I found it as you suggested and it sounds just like the problem i have been having, only today i did not get that message about '1706' or a number as such. BUT, doing the run routine and cmd, I could not get it to run as administrator. I right clicked all over it and i do not get that option, so I did not go any further. One snag after another.

#36 ·
I found it as you suggested and it sounds just like the problem i have been having, only today i did not get that message about '7601' or a number as such. BUT, doing the run routine and cmd, I could not get it to run as administrator. I right clicked all over it and i do not get that option, so I did not go any further. One snag after another.
This is a followup ....i finally got through by trying to capitalize all letters in the cmd unit and these (2 ) are what i got and wonder if you could explain to me by refreshing your memory what it is telling me. Thank you.

Attachments

#38 ·
Hey, i will take any info that is offered. I just thought that when i read u went through the same situation as i am going through now and according to your post, succeeded, that you would know the next step you followed. Like you, those jpgs responses is beyond me also. I guess it takes a guru. Thanks anyway, so i am right back to square one, unless someone else reading those jpsg can make sense out of them....ah...microsoft.

#41 ·
Abie, I understand you got it working. Please let us know how this came about. You can also mark your thread "Solved" if you wish.

#42 ·
Hi, yes....daily i kept get warnings about activating and this time i tried again and i saw an option to do it over the phone via automated voice. She asked questions and i respond. At the bottom of the info, there were empty box's A to H and am told to enter the numbers she was going to give me in each respectful box. I followed and then she asks after i entered the last one, 'did i receive any error'. I said 'no', and she said, 'Fine, your activated'. Now, here comes the rub...I was doing this on a copy of the activation box, not the original, so I 'fibbed' when i said "No" at the end, cause i did not have the option being on the original...I hope this is not confusing. The fact is, for a couple of days I had no warnings about activating it...so maybe a 'fib' got me through this. I have no idea if I would have gotten an error, if I did the program on the original. BTW, I also did the download of Simplex as u recommended and it went well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.