1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Management problem in Vista.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jeremy860, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeremy860

jeremy860 Thread Starter

ok heres the story. I had windows xp installed on C: (primary partition) and then I got vista and installed it onto a new partition (logical partition i think) and I also have another little partition for my important files.

well vista impressed me so much that I wanted to totally remove windows xp from my system. so from inside vista I just went into the C: drive and selected all files and hit delete. After that I opened up vista disk management tool since partition magic does not work for vista yet unsure.gif and the plan was to make my G: partiton (vista) the primary partition and just delete the C: partition completely and then make G: into C: drive. Well disk management is giving me a bunch of errors and wont let me do my work. I took a few screenshots so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

here is what my current partition setup looks like. C: is the old win xp partition, G: is windows vista, E: is important files.
    http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7654/diskmanagmentle6.th.jpg

Notice when I try to delete C: its all grayed out.
    http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9008/diskmagagementnodeleteve1.th.jpg

As you can see disk managment is only allowing me to shrink down 15mb out of 45Gigs?
    http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1453/shrinkpartitionerrorqr2.th.jpg

OK I am no expert but I think the reason why everything is grayed out is because C: is the primary partition? How would I go about making my vista pertition the new primary or finding somekind of workaround?

Is there any partition managers that work with vista yet?

Thanks in Advance,
    Jeremy

2. techy689

techy689

I understand you want to resize partitions so that Vista is the primary partition, and you have another partition for data. Am I correct?

Curious:

What size is your hard driver? How much will be devoted to data only? I assume the rest will then be for Vista, correct?

Did you receive a complete version of Vista, if so which one, or do you want to install RC1?

3. jeremy860

jeremy860 Thread Starter

exactly now that winxp is not on C: I would like to have vista reclaim the 40 gigs and run off C: instead. The partition for important files would just stay the same. The hard drive is like 80gigs and I am running Vista Ultimate.

4. techy689

techy689

well, wait till vista launch then.. there will prob. be some new partition software for vista which you can use... a lot which you can prob find free.

5. jeremy860

jeremy860 Thread Starter

Do you know why all the options are grayed out in my disk management though?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot do what you are trying to do for a few reasons.

1 You cannot change a system drive letter [without a reinstall] ie if vista is installed on F drive, you cannot change it to C

2 Even if you could do this, your apps will not work. When you install an app it installs files to its own folder AND to the windows and or the windows\system32 folder. The app will look for files on F:\windows and it is now C:\windows. All apps would need to be reinstalled.

Either leave it the way it is and use C for storage or you could use something like acronis disk director to just resize the partition you have vista installed on.

BTW vista has installed some files to the root of C so do not delete it or format it; you can resize it just do not delete it. These are BCD files [boot configuration data]

7. jeremy860

jeremy860 Thread Starter

does acronis disk director work for vista?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes. Acronis DD works fine for Vista.

Your old XP partition is probably considered by Vista to be a system partition since you had a dual-boot setup. You can't perform too many changes on a system partition.

There are a lot of possibilities here depending on what you actually did and whether that partition is logical or primary, a very important difference.

But you can convert the partitions to whatever you like using DD, and you can then repair the startup of Vista by booting from the DVD after making its drive primary and active. But, as mentioned, you can't change the drive letter without a complete format and reinstall. And even then, the letter C: will only be assigned if not already used by another partition. To insure you get C:, leave all your partitions except the Vista one unformatted until after Vista is up and running.

9. ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Elvandil,

I just double-checked the Acronis website (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/), and they still list only the following as being compatible with DD:

Supported operating systems
    * New! Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    * Windows XP SP 2
    * Windows 2000 Professional SP 4
    * Windows NT 4.0 Workstation SP 6
    * Windows Me
    * Windows 98 SE

Do you have hands-on experience using DD with Vista partitions? Is it something that works (most of the time), but is not yet something they are ready to announce?

10. ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Jeremy,

Instead of removing the existing partition that was home to XP, have you considered shrinking it (but leaving it) and then extending the partition that has Vista? That way you would not be changing the order and number of partitions, which might make it do-able.

This is the best article I have found so far on shrinking and extending partitions in Vista:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial133.html

That article lists these "gotchas" to keep in mind:

When resizing volumes in Windows Vista you must be aware of the following criteria:
    * You only have the ability to shrink or expand NTFS or RAW (unformatted) partitions using Windows Vista tools.
    * When you shrink a partition, unmovable files such as a page file or a shadow copy storage area are not relocated. Therefore you cannot decrease the size of the Windows volume beyond where these types of files are located. If you need to further shrink the volume, you will need to remove, move, or delete the page file or shadow copy storage area first, then shrink the volume, and then add the page file or shadow copy storage area back to the drive.
    * If enough bad clusters are found on the disk the partition will not be allowed to shrink.
    * You must be logged into an Administrator account in order to resize Windows Volumes in Vista.

So, if the XP partition were FAT32, you would need to convert it to NTFS before you could shrink it.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have booted with the disk director boot disk and resized the partition that vista was installed on and deleted a partition that xp was installed on. There were no issues at all; worked great.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

I have backed up and restored Vista partitions with Acronis True Image (not installed--the bootable CD). The partitions for my current Vista installations were created and later modified by DD (several times, actually, as I decide how to set them up), but, again, not by installing DD but by using the bootable CD for partition and file system manipulations.

Because Acronis products contain drivers that may need tweaking for Vista, their products, with the exception of TI 10 Home which I use installed in Vista, are not yet certified Vista-ready for installation. But partitions are still partitions.

As a matter of semantics, "supported" and "compatible" do not mean the same thing. If you use an older version of Acronis, you will not get support and they do not attest to its working.

(TI 10, by the way, has several fantastic improvements. You can specify any location for backups, including an ordinary folder. You can set limitations on the size, type, number, and frequency of backups and the old ones will be deleted automatically as new ones are made. No more problem of the ever-increasing size of the backup location if unattended. And other improvements.)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!