Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Disk not formatted" would you like to ...

673 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeruvy 
#1 ·
format now?
I keep getting this when I try to use a floppy. My son-in-law copied some pics to a floppy on his computer and when we plugged it in to mine this message is what we got.
I am wondering if he is using FAT32 and I am using NTFS will this cause this problem? If so...how can I correct it.
I also have a floppy with the only copy of a 7000 word story I wrote on it, I get the same thing. Is there a way to recover word documents.
Thanks guys,

#2 ·
First thing---put the floppies somewhere clean, dry, and safe until one of the long-timers comes along with an idea to recover the data.

Next thing--run down to the local big box store and invest about 15 bucks in a USB flash drive. Floppys are notorious that way.

#3 ·
I think the one with the story on it was made when floppies were still "state -of-the-art" LOL!!! The one my Son-in-law made was because he didn't have any blank CDs. I don't own a USB drive though...that's my bad I guess. I am usually a few years behind technology! LOL

#4 ·
mykidsdaddy said:
format now?
I keep getting this when I try to use a floppy. My son-in-law copied some pics to a floppy on his computer and when we plugged it in to mine this message is what we got.
I am wondering if he is using FAT32 and I am using NTFS will this cause this problem? If so...how can I correct it.
I also have a floppy with the only copy of a 7000 word story I wrote on it, I get the same thing. Is there a way to recover word documents.
Thanks guys,
This may be a sign of a bad drive.

Floppy disks do not understand NTFS or any modern filesystem, they only understand FAT/FAT16/FAT32. Ask your son to verify the floppy is ok by running chkdsk on it from HIS machine. Ensure the disk is still good and the data is on it is good.

Then try another floppy disk drive on your PC and see if that works. They are really cheap. However I'm with the suggestion above for using a USB drive. You can buy these for even cheaper than a new floppy drive :) 512MB USB drive sells for about $8.00 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.