1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk partioning

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by williemcd, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. williemcd

williemcd Thread Starter

I had a false start installing WinXP and on my second try defined D as the root drive. Every thing if fine except the D drive only has 5gb allocated, C has 70 gb. Everything tries to load to D which is out of space! Can I re-allocated part of C to D? Don't have my install disk avail. Bill

2. fel1x

fel1x

3. raybro

raybro

Never used partition wizard recommended by fel1x, so cannot comment on it. I have, however, used Easeus Partition Master by Periform do the very task you describe. Just resize the larger partition smaller, then resize the other partition to take up the empty space. Simple program to use.

Raybro

4. williemcd

williemcd Thread Starter

thanks.. i'll give that a shot!Q

5. williemcd

williemcd Thread Starter

Kinda gun shy about trying anything right now.. don't have my XP win install cd avail. Don't want to be "dead in the water" without an OS.. Bill

6. itsjusme

itsjusme

I`ve never used the MiniTool's Partition Wizard either, but i use their Power Data Recovery software and it`s the best i`ve found, specially for freeware. If quality runs in their family it should be good software. Easeus is good also. If you have a spare HD you could clone or image your existing installation so you have an emergency backup, in case something goes snafu with the partitioning.

7. williemcd

williemcd Thread Starter

Solved it by getting my XP win cd back.. did a complete re-install after ridding myself of all partitions. Bill cant see where to mark this as closed!

8. itsjusme

itsjusme

The site is having technical issues right now. Normally you would hit the SOLVED button in the upper left of your post, you`re the only one that can see it except for the mods. Glad you got it working, imaging the installation is still a good idea, in case you lose the cd again.:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!