1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk partition on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jrwestham, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrwestham

jrwestham Thread Starter

I have just reinstalled XP home back on my laptop and didn't think to partition the hard drive, so that I can load the OS onto the c: drive and all my other data onto the virtual D: drive.
    The Help function mentions it can be done with XP already installed by using the Disk managment tool. It mentions to "Right click an unallocated region of a basic drive and click New Partition" am I doing something wrong as I cannot find anywhere that shows New Partition when I right click.?

2. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

you have no unallocated space on your disk to create the partition. I suggest you backup your data and delete all partitions and repartition your volume depending on your needs (gdisk is a good tool to do this). It can be done without removing your existing partitions by using something like partition magic but it is an unrealibe way and you could lose all or some of your data.

3. jrwestham

jrwestham Thread Starter

Ok I had and old Win98 boot disk which I used to delete partitions and create new partitions with a new logical drive D: Reformated both C: D: drives and all looking ok.
    However when I change the boot order and insert my original OEM CD in the drive it briefly comes up with "hit any key to start CD" but then goes to C: prompt. The CD drive is now the e: drive but it wont let you run Setup from DOS.
    How can I load Windows XP (from the HP Operation System CD) If I use the Quick Restore CD it will undo all my hard work.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

While I would always recommending backing up first, I have never had a problem with resizing a partition with Partition Magic. But I suppose like everything else in computers, someone has always had a problem with something.

But look at it this way, if you were going to backup your data in order to delete all the partitions and reinstall (as the alternative), you might as well try Partition Magic. You might just save yourself a lot of time reinstalling XP, all your apps and then restoring all your data. If it doesn't work, you aren't out that much.

5. renegade X

renegade X

If your HDD is completely empty, you will need to add NTLDR, NTDETECT, and boot.ini, in order for the CD to be read.

6. awalker0878

you can run windows xp setup from dos! If you do not have smartdrive enabled it takes forever so I do suggest you download it and add it to your windows 98 setup disk. But if you do it before you go to bed it should finish in the morning, just type "E:\i386\winnt.exe".

7. renegade X

renegade X

awalker0878, if he has wiped his HDD clean, he is going to have to manually copy the NT files, yes? I never found a way around it.

8. awalker0878

no he does'nt. Just boot using a windows 98 bootdisk with smartdrive support. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom (okay an exaggeration) decided to include a 16-bit based installer for those legacy systems still out there (like dos).

9. jrwestham

jrwestham Thread Starter

Ok the story continues.
    I downloaded the 6 floopy disks info from MS web site. Loaded them in and partitioned the HD C: with logical drive D:. Reloaded WinXP onto the C: drive and fired up with NO problem. I then got the message that I would need to activate Windows within 30 days. So I opted to do it now but it would not accept my Key Code!!! Called MS and they asked me to quote a number and in return they asked me to i/p a number. Everything ok so far.
    I then thought I would get the Wndows updates (33 files) but only 32 loaded as it said 1 had failed. When I rebooted it went to the Windows XP splash but then the screen went black asking if I wanted to start in Safe Mode or start Windows normally. If choose Windows normally it just comes back to the same screen. This was working ok until I downloaded the updates.............help

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice