1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk partitioning issue!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tonyggggg, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonyggggg

tonyggggg Thread Starter

Hello everybody its been a very very long day!!! I need help i am trying to create a new partition on my hard drive becuase i want to install a different operating system on it . I have followed all the instructions on how to create a new partition by going into disk management and shrink disk 0 when i do select the shrink option i get another option of how much disk do i wish to shrink i am choosing 20,000 mb roughly about 20 gb for some reason i get an error message that parameters incorrect and it doesnt do anything else.. i have tried different shrink sizes and still recieve the same error message .. i have tried third party software to create another partition on my hard drive and get different errors like could not mount volume and stuff like that i need help please help!!!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    In Windows 7, you have to Defragg while the system is NOT running to get it to shrink it down to something reasonable ..
    or defragg with something other than W7.
    I wouldn't recommend anything below 100gig for a W7 system Partition.
    Then number system used in shrink could be a little more understandable.

Personally, I wouldn't dual boot a W7 system .. I've read about too many problems removing one system when W7 is one of them.

And Welcome to the TSG Forum

3. tonyggggg

tonyggggg Thread Starter

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum!
    I tried shrinking no less than 100 gb but now i get a input/output error ....

4. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Try shrinking to 200gig and see if that works.
    The last time I played with Shrink .. It quit working after several experiments.
    Hope you had a backup.

Nowadays .. I make an Acronis Image .. Then during the recovery, I can tell it how big to make the partition(s)
    Then, Using Windows, I can make a new partition in the unallocated space.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

On Windows, drive must be fully defragmented before shrinking the partition.

Gparted is available on most Linux Live CDs, and is a really easy way to do what you want to do.

6. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    The limit is over 100gig if not partitioned while the system is NOT running.
    There's something stuck at about 160gig (as I remember) that doesn't get moved when defragged with windows while the system is running.
    This limits the amount of Shrink to the "Stuck Stuff"

7. DVOM

DVOM

To effectively shrink a Win 7 partition you first need to shut off Hibernation and System Restore. Both place immovable files all over the partition. When the shrinking is done, both can be restarted.

With those programs shut down, then use Perfect Disk to defrag. In my experience it needs to be run several times to get all the files moved. Perfect Disk offers a one month free trial.

I then use the Win 7 shrink utility to shrink the system partition. However, I use GParted, as included in many LiveLinux CDs, to create whatever additional partitions I want.

A probable problem that you're going to have is that you can only have 4 primary partitions. Or 3 primary and one extended partition. Many newer systems already have the maximum amount of partitions so something has to be done to get rid of one or more of them. Win 7 usually has one primary partition with the boot files and one partition with the OS. I usually delete the boot partition and then run startup repair on the OS partition which places the proper boot files onto the OS partition. This needs either a Win 7 install DVD or a repair disk.

8. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
  9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The ntfsresize command, also commonly found on Linux Live CDs, will handle resizing an ntfs partition without data loss, since the tool will relocate data as required to accomplish the shrinkage. Gparted and variants such as QTparted will automatically use ntfsresize when it is indicated.

Really, the easiest way to shrink an ntfs partition is to use a linux live CD.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How about showing a screen shot of the Disk Management window?

I agree with the advice to defragment before trying to shrink, and to be prepared for something to go wrong. For example, after you install another OS you may lose all ability to boot to the Recovery partition. If you are counting on that you really ought to make your set of Recovery DVDs (or CDs) now.

I have been able to successfully shrink Vista and Windows 7 partitions running EASEUS Partition Master when Windows' Disk Management has balked.

The GParted recommended above is also available as a standalone bootable disk, and is nice to have in your hip pocket (figuratively) if nothing else works or you completely lose the ability to boot to the hard drive.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Keep in mind that if you have a recovery partition instead of a DVD for Windows, any changes to the partitions will make that useless and you won't be able to recover Windows unless you buy the disk set from the manufacturer.

You may want to consider booting a Linux-based OS from a USB stick, a virtual drive on your current partitions, or using a virtual machine. That way, you can leave your partitions intact.

12. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice