Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Disk Read Error" / "Error Loading OS"

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Elvandil 
#1 ·
So a couple days ago my PC began making a high pitch buzz. I turned the computer off and when I came home and tried to start it up the next day it wouldn't start. I decided that the power supply must have died and that perhaps it was the power supply fan that was making the noise (I recently replaced the case fan).

I bought a new power supply and installed it. But now when I try to boot up the computer I get an error message "Disk Read Error". It instructs me to press ctrl alt delete to try again. When I do that, it gives me a new error message "Error Loading OS".

The hard drive is only a couple of months old. My previous one died and I was able to clone the contents on to the brand new one and it has worked great ever since.

I am concerned that somehow the hard drive became corrupted or damaged when the power supply failed although I'm not quite sure how, but its the best explanation I can figure.

Any thoughts on next steps. Is there a process I can run that may repair the situation, assuming its not physical?

If not then I guess I need to figure out trying to get the content off and on to a new hard drive if possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
What verison of Windows are you using? It sounds like you have a corrupt BOOT file for your Windows installation. This could very much be caused by the power supply dying. If it happened to be writing or using something with that file or near it, it could have corrupted it. If you have Windows 7, use the Windows 7 DVD and do the option for checking for problems. If you have a corrupt boot file, it will repair it (hopefully). You can download Windows 7 DVDs free online. The main thing that matters is your registration key for Windows. Do the Windows 7 repair option and see if that helps. If not then you might have to reinstall Windows 7. Don't format as you will lose all of your files. You can install a new Windows and it will keep all your old files. The bad thing is you will lose all your Windows settings and programs you installed will not work, you will have to resinstall them. But all of your files will be saved. Hopefully the repair option works first.....

#3 ·
Recover your data first, if possible, then test the drive. It sounds like drive failure.

Use a bootable OS to get your files, provided they are still accessible.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.