1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk read error has occurred Press Ctrl Alt Delete

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sheepdisease, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease Thread Starter

Hello there. I turned my computer on today. When I checked it some time later, I had an error of messages saying lots of files (mostly .dll) could not be found (or something along those lines). Explorer.exe kept crashing, before a constant bombardment of similar messages came up. After a while, clicking ok to all of them, the computer froze.

When I tried restarting, I got the message
    "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

Any ideas what might have caused this and fix it? If it makes any difference, I am using SATA drives.

The computer no longer boots into Windows.

2. allheart55

allheart55

It sounds as if your hard drive is failing. Boot from your Windows 7 DVD and Select System Recovery
    Options. In the System Recovery window click on Command Prompt. In the command box type chkdsk /r
    and hit the Enter Key. Follow the prompts...

3. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease Thread Starter

Hello allheart55, thank you very much for your response.

Unfortunately, when I tried this, after it said drive was in use and confirming I did not want to force a dismount, and confirming I did want to check the disc upon restart, at the point where Windows would usually load upon restart, the same message came up and it did not get a chance to perform chkdsk.

Any other ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice