1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Read Error has Occurred

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbarbee1979, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbarbee1979

sbarbee1979 Thread Starter

My computer (while running a few days ago) starting making a funny clicking sound. When I heard the sound, I restarted the machine, thinking there was a malfunction. Turns out there was - I got a "Disk Read Error Has Occurred" message and I could not even get to the Windows XP loading screen. I even tried to start the laptop in safe mode, but that did not work either. I got the same error. My computer is a 1.5 year old Dell Inspiron 700m and I have never had any hardware problems until now. My guess is that the HD is damaged (but from what I have not idea).

Question #1: Is is repairable?
    Question #2: If the HD needs to be replaced is there anyway to recover at least a portion of what is on the current HD? I have some fairly vital files (financials, etc) that haven't been backed up in a while.

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

"Funny clicking sound" sounds like HD went belly up. If the drive is dead, there are companys that recover files. (For a price)

3. norton850

norton850

It sounds like you need a new hard drive. You could run the Dell diagnostic utility on it, but probably the best way to try to and get something off of it is to use it as little as possible. You can hook it up to an external enclosure and see if it can be read that way, but it doesn't sound good.

4. sbarbee1979

sbarbee1979 Thread Starter

1. I agree that the hard drive went in the crapper. I ran the Dell diagnostic tool and gave Dell the error codes and they concurred.

2. I'd really like to recover some (or all) of the stuff on that laptop (financials, music collection, etc). Any suggestions? Is Dell any good at stuff like that with their own hardware? Any third-party suggestions?

3. Any suggestions for replacement HDs are welcome too. Dell? Someone else? I've never had to replace one before, so I'm not sure how generic HDs are.

5. onsite

onsite

6. SacsTC

SacsTC

This means you still have the drive running?? Get an adapter to plug the laptop drive into an ide cable on your desktop (or someone elses). You can then retrieve your info and burn it to a cd/dvd for transfer to a new HD.
    http://adapterz.com/prods_IDE.htm
    First piece listed. After you get your info copied, you could try to do a full partition copy using HD manufacturer utility. I say after only because it is hard to say how long the drive will continue to run.
    Newegg, zipzoomfly and many others all sell laptop drives. Price and size are your decisions to make.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice