Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Disk Read Error Occurred...", Brand New PC, Tried Several HDDs

793 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ParadigmDJ 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

The IDE controller on my old motherboard kicked the bucket last week, so I've built a new computer. I have replaced my mobo, RAM, CPU, and graphics card, and have purchased a new OS. I've retained my old case, wireless card, hard disk and DVD writer.

The problem I'm having is that my system won't boot. It POSTs fine, recognises both the hard disk and the DVD writer, and Windows 7 64bit installation runs and completes without fault. However once Windows setup is complete, the system reboots, and when it tries to bood from the hard disk it give me:

a disk read error occurred. press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.
Ctrl+Alt+Del reboots but throws up the same error.

I've since tried the following...

• Another IDE cable. No change.
  • Another brand new, packet-never-opened IDE cable. Still no change.
  • Thinking it might be my removable drive bay (I run my HDD in a removable bay so I can swap it out and setup a different OS without messing with my primary OS) I took the drive out and connected it directly. No change.
  • Tried it on 2 spare HDDs. Same error. I know all 3 drives were working fine last Monday. One of them was my primary drive in my old system, running Win7 RC1 until Tuesday when I formatted to go back to XP, as Win7 RC had commenced its 2hr shutdown cycle.
  • Tested the original Samsung drive with Samsung utilities, which report that there are no problems with the drive. Before I left for work this morning, started a low-level format using the Samsung utilities. Won't know what effect this has had until I get home from work.
All of my drives are now without data, and given this is a new computer and I suspect its a hard disk issue, I'm not holding any high hopes of fixing the problem short of buying a new drive. So I will either fix the old drives or burn them out trying!

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

System Specs.
Old System
ABIT KU8 Mobo (dead IDE)
AMD Sempron64 2600+
1024 + 512mb DDR400
GeForce 6200 256mb gfx
LiteOn DVD-ROM (IDE) + Sony DVD-RW (IDE)
Samsung 80gb (IDE) / Seagate 60gb (IDE) / Seagate 60gb (IDE)

New System
Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 Mobo
AMD PhenomII X4 945
2gb DDR3 1333
GeForce 8500GT 512mb gfx
Sony DVD-RW (IDE)
Samsung 80gb (IDE) / Seagate 60gb (IDE) / Seagate 60gb (IDE)

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.