1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk read error press control, alt, delete, to restart ERROR! Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by janragan, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

Hi!
    My system (XP Pro) has been doing some aggravating things of late like half a window loads, sits, finally other half will load, mouse just doesn't seem to do anything so you click (whatever) again and 3 minutes later 2 of whatever will finally open... just annoying crap really! A few days ago comcast went off and I had to unplug modem, wait, then plug back up and restart system. I got a "Disk read error press control, alt, delete, to restart" error, tried that same thing so I shut down and when I turned back on it booted fine. I have since moved... just set up the system and am getting the same error except this time shutdown/restart isn't working :eek:( The OTHER problem I realize is this... this is a tempory move! Most everything I own is in a storage unit, boxes to the back, furniture to the front and guess where my disks are? Right! I put printer, shredder, disks, everything I didn't just HAVE to have in the storage unit. My XP CD is in there SOMEWHERE. It is NOT an option to find it... Can anyone offer ANY help at all?
    Thanks

2. kniht

kniht

Sounds like you need to run chkdsk /r from the recovery console on the XP cd. I had a similar problem and did not have the XP cd.

Had to borrow my daughter's XP cd to run the recovery console. Do you know of someone that would be willing to let you use their cd?

3. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

Possibly! I have a message in to him right now.
    Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice