1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Disk read error. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZorlinStarre, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZorlinStarre

ZorlinStarre Thread Starter

About a week ago, my computer suddenly refused to boot up. Windows Vista. The HP screen would flash by, but after that it would either hang at a black screen, or it would say 'Disk read error. Please insert a system disk.' It did this for a few hours before Windows recovery randomly popped up, scanned the computer, found the problem, repaired itself, and the computer ran fine for a week. I burned off everything I needed to keep during this time.

Today, it did it again, only this time, the message says, "Disk read error. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart." I put in a Vista recovery disk, and it took it nearly five hours to load the recovery console entirely. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be finding my hard drive.

When I click Repair your computer on the Windows Vista screen from the recovery disk, i get a box that says 'System Recovery Options' It lists my OS installed, partition size and Location. It lists nothing at all, and clicking Load Drivers it tells me to insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select the driver. If I click OK, I get an explorer window that lists Recent Places, SYSTEM, and Computer. System comes up empty (Probably since it will only look for 'Setup Information' in the filetypes,) and when I click on Computer, I see a hard drive named Boot (X:) with 30.5MB free of 33.0 MB, and my DVD-ROM with my repair disk in it.

If I skip selecting an OS to repair on the above-described window and just hit Next to get to System Recovery options and click on Startup Repair, it runs for a few seconds, then comes back and says it can't repair Windows.automatically. Clicking on 'View problem details' gives me:
    'Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 1: External Media
    Problem Signature 2: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 3: 0
    Problem Signature 4: 65537
    Problem Signature 5: unknown
    Problem Signature 6: NoHardDrive
    Problem Signature 7: 0
    Problem Signature 8: 0
    Problem Signature 9: unknown
    Problem Signature 10: 1168
    OS version: 6.0.6.6000.3.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033"

System Restore give me an error box that says, "To perform an offline System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation you would like to restore."
    Complete PC Restore gives me "No valid backup locations could be found."
    When I open the Command Prompt, it says it's on Drive X:\sources, and if I hit CD C:\ it says the system cannot find the drive specified.

Is there any help to be had for it, or is my hard drive dead where it sits?

2. PCWhizzkid

PCWhizzkid

It does sound like it could be dead.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    It does sound like the hard drive is possibly dead. Double check all your cables and connectors to make sure that they havent come loose, physically remove the connections and reconnect them.

If you have another IDE / SATA cable that you can use, try that aswell incase the cable has gone bad.

4. ZorlinStarre

ZorlinStarre Thread Starter

Everything is squarely seated - I didn't disconnect/reconnect anything because my hands are very shaky and I'm scared of repeating an old incident involving bumping something on the motherboard and frying it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice