disk read error/ smart did not trip/will not boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jamesphillips

VERY DESPERATE win 7 on a acer emachines........will not boot then i get disk read error i ran seatools it came up with ssmart did not trip

Triple6

Rob
How many of the diagnostics did you run from Seatools? Did you run the Quick and Full tests as well? You must run the Full drive scan.

jamesphillips

power on........a disk read error occurred press ctl-alt-del to restart.....................
if i use f2 it asks for a password i never put on in...

Triple6

Rob

Triple6

Rob
Do you have access to a Windows 7 disc to run a chkdsk or use any of it's repair options?

jamesphillips

i do not have access to windows ......I ran all seatools tests now i have smart tripped my system recovery will not finish

Triple6

Rob
So now you have a SMART error? If so the drive is garbage and you will need to purchase a new one and purchase recovery media from Acer to reinstall Windows.

Triple6

Rob
SMART means that the drive is failing, or already failed. The Disk Read error already hinted at a failing drive.

You have no choice, the drive is failing and needs to be replaced. As for the 'contents' of your drive, at least of that has already been lost, refer back to Disk Read Error". You may still be able to recover some or all of your personal data, or maybe none at all. That will depend how badly the drive has failed. I assume from your concern about the data that you have not made those all important backups of your important files?

Triple6

Rob
Cloud Storage; most companies offer a very decent amount of storage for free. I use 3 different cloud storage services to store my important data aside from in house backups. But even a backup drive at $60 is cheaper than hundreds or thousands that it can cost for professional data recovery, if it even works.

You will need to connect the hard drive to another computer and see if you can access your files, you may get lucky and be able to simply copy off the data you need. Do you have access to another desktop computer? If not you could buy a new hard drive, get the recovery discs and reinstall onto the new drive, then connect the failed drive as a secondary drive and try getting data off it then.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online