1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk read error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xbolt, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xbolt

xbolt Thread Starter

When I first turn the computer on in the morning, it gives me a disk read error. So I opened up the case, and didn't do anything other than jiggle wires around. Then I turned it on again, and it booted up just fine. But the next morning, it wouldn't start up again. So I jiggled wires, and it worked.

It's been doing that for about a week now. I have three hard drives in there, one with just Windows on it, and the other two for all my files and programs. And also two DVD drives.

I tried unplugging everything except for the boot drive, and the computer booted up. I shut down and restarted a few times, and it still booted. Then I plugged everything back in, and it booted. Then the computer locked up, and I shut down, and it wouldn't boot anymore. Then I unplugged everything except the boot drive again, and it still won't boot. Still gives me the disk read error.

So I don't know what to do now... Did I screw something up by taking out the other two hard drives?

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Check connections thoroughly again.
    I replace ide ribbon connectors every so often. They can get brittle and crack inside the insulation giving unreliable reads.

Then there's fan replacement....and, power replacement..and definitely BIOS reset.

Keep working with minimum hardware

3. xbolt

xbolt Thread Starter

They're SATA drives, not IDE. And last night, I left the computer off while I went out to get dinner, and when I got back, I decided to plug everything back together and give it one more try.

And it booted just fine. And it's still working as of this morning, so maybe it's fixed somehow. (Though I won't say that for certain until it's been running for a few days without trouble.)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think I would start with a simple thing first, like testing the hard drives. Each manufacturer has their own diagnostics utility available for download.

Also you can try swapping SATA cables around on the drives, a poor connection or bad cable could be the issue.

5. xbolt

xbolt Thread Starter

I tested the drives, and they all came out fine. Plus, the computer has been behaving normally for three days now. The last time I jiggled wires around, I noticed there was some tension on the cable between the boot drive and the motherboard, because the cable was all tangled with other cables. I guess that was causing it to have a poor connection, since after I untangled it and relieved the tension, it has been doing fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice