1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Size Incorrect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnorthridge, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gnorthridge

gnorthridge Thread Starter

Yesterday I got a new Hitachi 160GB SATA drive for my Dell E1505 laptop. I also got the EZGIG II data transfer kit. The first time I ran the data transfer utility the new disk was recognized as being 160GB. However the transfer didn't complete correctly and I wasn't able to boot from the new disk. I tried running the transfer utility again, and now the disk appears as only having a capacity of 73.13GB. This is the disk size seen by EZGIG as well as the XP Setup disk. I used XP Setup to delete all partitions off the new disk, but it still thinks the disk only has a capacity of 73.13 GB now. Any idea how to reset the disk size back to the full 160GB?? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I am not familiar with the EZGIG II utility, but most drive clonig software I have used creates an exact image of the original drive. If the drive you are transferring from is an 80GB drive with a 73GB partition, it will create a 73GB partition on the new drive. The remaining free space is still there, just but not partitioned. You can always use Windows Disk Management to partition the unused space and format it (which would then be a D drive).

I would look in documenation and see if it includes the ability to stretch the existing partition to fill the drive size. If not, you can use a utility such as Partition Magic to do the same thing.

3. gnorthridge

The EZGIG cloning siftware can and did (the first time) recognize that the new disk's capacity was 160GB, and it proportionally scaled up the 4 partitions that are on my original disk (a C: partition of around 52 GB which was enlarged to 107 GB, a D: partition of around 19 GB which was enlarged to 39 GB, and also a FAT partition of around 400 MB and a FAT32 partition of around 3 GB, both of which were also correspndingly increased).

However, now the new disk appears to be onlt 73.13 GB in size. Even Windows XT Setup (which can be used to set up partitions on a hard disk) only sees 73.13 GB as the physical hardware size of the new disk.

There must be a way to "reset" the "physical size" of the disk. Any ideas?

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If the situation Frank poses is correct, you can do the job over and make different choices in the process that will allow the use of the entire 160 Gigs on the new disk or you can simply use a third party partitioning software to resize the current partition to use the entire drive.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Also if EZGIG messed up the drive in such a way the partitions cannot be resized, Hitachi should have a utility that "zero fills" the drive restoring it to the same condition as when you pulled out of the box.

6. gnorthridge

Thanks Frank. Hitachi does in fact have a utility called the "Hitachi Feature Tool" which can change permanently change the drive's capacity (along with a number of other attributes). It took me a while to get a bootable CD created with the software on it, but then I was able to see where the drive's capacity was only 73.13GB and subsequently change that back to 160GB. Now my cloning software once again sees the proper disk size.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/564961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice