1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk size not correct in windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rbrads, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbrads

rbrads Thread Starter

I have an 8gb disk in my mcahine, i have installed windows 2000 pro and in disk manager it tells my i have an healthy 8gb disk but in my computer i only have 2 gb, any ideas

Pleae help !

2. Dan O

Dan O

It sounds like FAT16 is enabled, because it has a limit of 2GB. Did you enable LBA for FAT32 support or using NTFS?

3. rbrads

rbrads Thread Starter

How can i check / fix it !!

4. volrathxp

volrathxp

there is a great two-step process to fix this. first, open up a command prompt and type "convert c:\ ntfs" it should say the drive will be converted to NTFS the next time you start up. at that point reboot. It should come up, say "Converting filesystem" and then reboot again automatically. then once you are back in the os, use Partition Magic to extend the partition from 2 gb to 8gb. PM will not destroy any data if you extend the partition. It is proven. Good luck and hope I helped.

volrathxp

5. volrathxp

volrathxp

my bad the command is

convert c: /FS:NTFS

sorry... lol

volrathxp

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!