1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk space gone!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marc_89, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc_89

marc_89 Thread Starter

Hello, I kept my pc running over night and when I woke up the free space in my drive c(contains os) was 700kb. It had dropped from 8gb. I checked system restore I thought it might have made a backup but that was not the case. I did find though a bunch .sqm files in my c drive. I've heard they can be related to live messenger and operation flashpoint ( a game). I have flashpoints sequel and live messenger. I haven't used either in several days. I did defragment the drive one day before this occurred. Can someone please tell me where all that space has gone to?

ps I'm putting them in these forums because I don't know where this problem belongs.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    http://dotwhat.net/sqm/8672/

Found this which gives a general overview of the files, also found numerous other sources saying the same thing. Apparently, you should be able to disable the feature in Messengers options however many people seem to think that it still produces the files even when disabled (may be associated to Beta versions).

I don't use MSN / Live Messenger so cant confirm / deny the info personally.

3. marc_89

marc_89 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I followed the link to the msn file but it had only several tiny files. On the other hand I haven't been able to find the root folder, It should be in drive C and I have show hidden files activated, any idea on where it is?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!