Disk space gone!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marc_89

Hello, I kept my pc running over night and when I woke up the free space in my drive c(contains os) was 700kb. It had dropped from 8gb. I checked system restore I thought it might have made a backup but that was not the case. I did find though a bunch .sqm files in my c drive. I've heard they can be related to live messenger and operation flashpoint ( a game). I have flashpoints sequel and live messenger. I haven't used either in several days. I did defragment the drive one day before this occurred. Can someone please tell me where all that space has gone to?

ps I'm putting them in these forums because I don't know where this problem belongs.

Tanis

Shane
.SQM files are created by a number of Microsoft applications, most commonly Windows Live Messenger (previously known as MSN).

According to Microsoft, SQM files (standing for Software Quality Metrics) are used as part of their "Microsoft Customer Experience Program" and help improve their products by anonymously monitoring usage habits and reporting software errors/bugs.

To stop these files being created, you will need to disable the option in Windows Live Messenger.

You can do this through the options menu, selecting the help section, selecting 'Customer Experience Improvement Program' and then ticking the 'I don't want to participate right now' box and pressing OK.

.SQM files are NOT viruses and do not contain spyware/malware and do not contain any personal information.

SQM files have a naming convention such as "sqmnoopt00.sqm". They are normally found in the root folder of your hard-drive (C:) and more recently, the "Documents and settings/Application Data/Microsoft/MSN Messenger/" folder.

Dot What!? visitors have found that deleting SQM files is safe. Although probably true, we advise you to backup the files first.
http://dotwhat.net/sqm/8672/

Found this which gives a general overview of the files, also found numerous other sources saying the same thing. Apparently, you should be able to disable the feature in Messengers options however many people seem to think that it still produces the files even when disabled (may be associated to Beta versions).

I don't use MSN / Live Messenger so cant confirm / deny the info personally.

marc_89

Thanks for the help, I followed the link to the msn file but it had only several tiny files. On the other hand I haven't been able to find the root folder, It should be in drive C and I have show hidden files activated, any idea on where it is?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online