1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disk space is full. Free some space on this drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rkselby98, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

Setting up a new box, Vista sadly to say. Installed MS Office XP Pro and get the following error when closing MS Word ONLY. Excel saves without any errors.

The disk is full. Free some space on this drive, or save the document on another disk. Try one of the following:
    *Close any unneeded documents, programs, and windows.
    *Save the document on another disk.

I've moved the file location and same error. I cleaned up the drive including removing all restore point except the last one.

Now this thing has a 250 gig drive but it is also used for security in a mini mart with 8 cameras. There are about 145 Gigs of video from the security cameras on this box. At this time I am just setting it up, no cameras are connected, and the security program hasn't been set up yet. I just moved the files from the old drive to this one. BTW the old drive crashed.

I've tried the detect and repair in MS Word and no help. I have uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled and no help and even went into Properties and set the user up on quota with no limits and still no help.

So now I am at a loss and have no idea what to try next. Really don't want to delete the security files because it took 6 hours to transfer them to this computer and unless all else fails this isn't a option I want to use.

Now on the old box, which had XP Pro this, was not a problem so on Vista it should not be either but then Vista is a MS Software so this is understandable. Actually, the old box had a 150 gig hard drive so I think it actually has something to do with the O/S VISTA but after fooling with this for two days that could just be me....

Now not sure if I posted in the correct forum, if not please move to the correct forum.

2. Sponsor

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

Is this for you, or a client?

You said how big your drive is, and how much is used for the camera video - but in reality, that means nothing. We need to know how much free disk space you have?

In Word 2003 (XP Pro should be similar), go to Tools >Options > File Locations and make sure they all point to logical places, and were not some how changed to a different drive or partition, or now non-existent external drive, or worse yet, a tiny memory stick.

Is Windows managing your Page File, or have you changed the settings? If changed, to what?

4. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

Have about 50 gigs free....

I been to Tools/Options, FIle Location and even moved it to a different folder, actually 3 different folders, one Documents, Created a folder in C:\Windows and Program Files just to see if the location might be the problem but that didn't make any difference.

Page file is still being managed by Windows. BTW it is 1314 MB and that should be more than enough to run MS Word. What is strange is all other MS Programs don't have this problem.

5. unbidden

unbidden

It would be helpful to know what version of Word.

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

It's in there! - XP Pro. ;)

The PF is not what determines if there is "more than enough" - you need a minimum amount of RAM too.

And yes, that is strange - but then Word probably has more bloat. I might run CCleaner to ensure all MRU caches are purged. Word tries to remember the last 4 to 9 files accessed - maybe one of those is causing problems - I'm reaching here... :rolleyes:

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Couple things come to mind. Run Windows Update and make sure to enable Microsoft Updates to get updates for your Office as well. Make sure that you have all the Vista updates including Service Pack 1, you'll need a couple visits to the site to get all the updates. You also want to make sure to get Service Pack 3 for Office XP which should also appear on the Microsoft update site. You can also get both Service Packs from the Downloads section on the Microsoft site. But there'll be more updates to both so you should run the Microsoft Updates in either case.

8. unbidden

unbidden

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!