1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk stuck in computer

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by cate, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cate

cate Thread Starter

I inserted a CD of photos from the drug store. No image came up on the screen, like it does not exist there. And I can't get it out. Turning off machine does not help. It whirrs in there, but neither reads nor ejects. Help!!

2. replay

replay

stick the end of a paper clip in the tiny hole on the front of the drive and it should eject

3. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

Try this, could be button is stuck. Go to My Computer, at the bottom, the disk drive with the CD in it should show a CD. Its in Devices with Removable Storage, right click once, select eject. It should eject unless the CD was not put in properly. I used the paper clip on my other computer, this one does not have the hole. I guess I am out of luck if mine jams.

4. cate

cate Thread Starter

Thanks, both. -- but I have an iBook G4. There's no little hole there for a paper clip.
    And I can't find "My Computer". Is it the Macintosh HD icon? The Applications file?
    Willing and grateful, but stumped...
    Cate

5. tsg_carlos

tsg_carlos

Never used Mac but are you running Mac OS X?

6. cancon

cancon

do you people not look at the computer specifications b4 you post - you could all have saved a lot of time and effort by just finding out what computer is whirring over there :p;)

Anyways this belongs in the mac forum - Mac users probs have a better idea, as if the computer is not detecting the disc, it's not gonna appear on the desktop, therefore, not conna be able to eject it (drag it to trash)

either way i'm gonna ask a moderator to move this to the mac forum.

7. tsg_carlos

tsg_carlos

Quick Google search brought me to these options, give them a try and report back:

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Um, he/she REALLY didn't say anything about it being a MAC in the first post ;) And we know from experience, simply because someone has computer info in their user profile, doesn't really mean that is the system they are asking about......

Moving to the MAC forums as requested.

9. cancon

cancon

lol - i meant click the icon next to cate's name and find out - but either way looks like carlos gave something to make cate busy...:D

10. tsg_carlos

tsg_carlos

Haha sorry about that, I'm new here just came to get some help with my headset/mouse conflict and figured I'd throw some help around until I get feedback on my thread :rolleyes:

Pretty cool feature though, didn't realize they had their specs right there. (y)

11. JackAndCoke

JackAndCoke

I'm assuming you have a slot loading G4. In the far right side of the slot there is a button that can be pushed with a paper clip to eject the disc.

12. cancon

cancon

JackandCoke we have already established, three times, I think now, that there is no hole in his computer
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by AcaCandy to remove profanity.

13. VegasACF

VegasACF

He's using Internet Explorer. Give him four years and he'll be up to where we are today. Just kidding Jack... Mostly. ;)

Okay, this was a problem that I had a few months back dealing with a DVD containing a bunch of case-related documents. There was an adhesive label affixed to the top of the DVD, stating the case name, the contents, etc., to which I didn't pay much attention before inserting into my MacBook Pro. Once I got the files copied I went to eject it and it gave me the normal "I'm ejecting your disk" mechanical sounds (urrr-EEEEH-aaaaaah), but failed to completely do so, and the disk retracted and reappeared on my desktop. I tried again. No luck. And again.

Every time it would just barely appear in the slot opening of the drive, but not far enough that I could get a grasp on it. I ended up doing what was suggested above, holding the computer at an extremely odd angle, pretty much completely upside down, with the display pointed pretty much directly at my chest and the rest of the computer pointed at my legs, and the disk ejected from the slot enough that I was able to grab it and pull it out.

I feared that I had somehow damaged the eject mechanism by pulling the CD out when it wasn't yet done with it, but the mechanism seems to be working fine, some two or three months later.

Rest assured, I will no longer insert a disk with any kind of affixed label into my MBP. I recommend you do not do so, either.

14. chilkotardis

chilkotardis

Hi Cate, i also have an iBook G4 that is about 2 years old, and i found a suggestion:
    restart the computer while holding the trackpad button down.
    Hope that helps, if not, take it to an apple store and they can probablt help you, do you have applecare?

15. VegasACF

VegasACF

If I may be so bold...

The problem is not with getting the disk to eject by way of software. The problem is getting the disk to eject by way of hardware. Everything happens as it is supposed to, but because of some physical problem, likely a label on the disk, the mechanism is unable to fulfill its requirements.

It has ejectile dysfunction...

...of a physical (hardware), not mental (software), nature.

If you can get the computer to push the disk out far enough that you can quickly grab it with needlenosed pliers by all means do so. Ignore the small dents this may put in your laptop's case. Consider them notches on your computer-using bedstand.

Then put the disk into a tray-loading drive, copy it, do not place a label on it, and carry on with life as it should be.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/569340