1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk usage 100 %

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kvistu, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kvistu

Kvistu Thread Starter

Hello there..!

So my problem is that my disk usage is almost everytime at 100 % and it was not like that just a couple of days ago.. (it was pretty high but never at 100 %) Now there are some big performence issues.. pretty long loading of files or problems in loading textures in games.. any solution? I already disabled Superfach, Windows search did the Chkdsk. Thank you and sorry for my bad English..

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The big "anniversary update" for Windows 10 is going to be released in stages, starting on August 2nd.
    Hopefully, the upgrade will resolve a lot of issues that have plagued many Windows 10 users.

We're not there to see how you use that computer and what's installed and running in it, so there can be a number of reasons for the high disk usage.

You didn't provide any information on your computer, so do the following in it:
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Kvistu

Kvistu Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8085 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 Mb - It did not mention my GTX 970 standard.
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 952182 MB, Free - 417106 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., B85M-HD3
    Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Intel Core i5-4690 3.50 GHz processor
    upload_2016-7-30_11-32-56.png

Intel HD Graphics 4600 graphics
    upload_2016-7-30_11-34-34.png

Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 motherboard - supports up to 16 GB(8 GB X 2) of DDR3 RAM

Your computer has a fast processor and good graphics and plenty of RAM, so it should be running speedy and snappy.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Its 1 TB (actual capacity is 929.86 GB) hard drive has 407.33 GB of free space and is about 56% full.
    That tells me it has a lot of installed programs (which adds up to a lot of running processes) and has a lot of stored personal data.

Open the Task Manager window, then click the "Performance" tab.
    At the bottom of that window, you will be "Processes".
    What's the number listed there?

------------------------------------------------------------

5. Kvistu

Kvistu Thread Starter

Processes:113

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :eek:
    That's more than double the number of running processes that I have in my Windows 10 computers.
    That pretty well explains why the hard drive is working so hard and why the computer isn't as fast and snappy as it could be.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

With disk usage at 100%, there are two possibilities; either you're infected or the drive is failing which, really, is the more serious problem.
    Get the free trial of http://www.hdtune.com 's pro version and run it. Click on the health tab. If the data column for (05) Reallocated sectors or (C5) Current pending sectors is anything but zero, the drive is failing and it must be replaced (period) If you want to be extra sure, go to the error scan tab and click Start. It will take a long time (2-3 hours); but, even one red box is also the kiss of death.

1) Do you have your stuff backed up? (Music, Pictures, Documents, etc.)
    2) If it is failing, are you up to cloning the drive to a replacement?
    3) Do you have access to another PC to do it on?

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Where are looking to see disk usage is around 100% ?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1175419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice