1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disk usage is often at 100%

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by aldiwwe, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aldiwwe

aldiwwe Thread Starter

Hi guys :)

I also have the same problem, my disk usage is often at 100%, and the largest process is no more than 2mb.
    I'm currently using Asus U24E laptop, i3-2330m with 4gb memory.
    I bought this laptop years ago and start using windows 8 since December 2012, everything is normal until today I saw my laptop is pretty laggy,
    and when I check the task manager, the disk usage is often 100%,
    so I can hear the sound of my running HDD, also I can feel a little vibration on the laptop because of that

I've looked for some solutions on the internet but I still have the problem:
    Change my SATA port to ahci --> not working
    Restore my system using system restore --> not working
    Disable antivirus, antimalware, etc --> not working

Wish I could find out how to solve it would be really help :)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

aldiwwe

Welcome to Tech Suport Guy
    1. I find it hard to connect the install of 8 in December, even if it was the end of December and this problem arising today
    However I see there are numerous recommendations before installing 8 on that computer, not least of which is the warning about the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and indeed if you check each download as I have just done a most positive and definite recommendation to update the BIOS before installing 8.
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/U24E/

2. The situation outlined above clearly arises from the fact that the computer was originally sold before Windows 8, so therefore it must be prepared for 8.

3. Check resource monitor as per my screenshot AND what processes are shown in the top pane of the window

Attached Files:

3. aldiwwe

aldiwwe Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Macboatmaster

I've tried to install the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology but the problem still arises. Should I update the BIOS? I dont have any experience in updating BIOS but I'll try if I have to.

I've attached the screenshot of my resource monitor.

nb: I don't know why but somehow the disk usage is getting better compared to yesterday, it still reach 100% sometimes (even with no program running) but not as bad as yesterday

Attached Files:

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I do not see anything that immediately raises concern
    What Anti-virus please
    Any other protection running in real time - anti-spyware
    or are you using the Windows Defender only

As to the updates - you most certainly should have followed the advice on the Asus site - flashing BIOS is always risky but only you can make that choice.
    NOW you have 8 installed I would monitor the situation and see where you go

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice