Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disk usage spiking to 100% causing lag

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Recently I've run into the problem where when I play various video games, my game will randomly freeze, and I believe the problem is caused by my disk usage spiking to 100%. I have both an SSD and a HDD and the disk usage spikes up to 100% on both drives. This has led me to believe that it isn't an issue with either drive, and it may be something else. I've tried a few things like checking the health of my drives and while the HDD seemed like it had some problems, the SSD had none, and I have most of my games on the SSD and still run into the issue. I also reset my PC completely, and reinstalled windows, and that didn't seem to fix the issue either. I've tried updating my drivers on everything, and there's nothing that needs to be updated. This issue seems to occur mostly when something eventful is happening, like for example in league of legends when we ace the enemy team and a big message pops up on the screen. It doesn't happen often, maybe a few times a day. Also something important to highlight is that my average fps in all games has dropped by like 20-30. It also feels like I use way more ram than I should be using, simple games like League of Legends using 8 seems a little excessive, or games like FFXIV using 15. Not sure if this is related to the problem though.

I've had this issue in all games I play, regardless of graphic intesitisty.
Some of the games I've been playing and running into this issue:
League of Legends
Sea of Thieves
FFXIV
Ark
Lost Ark
Fortnite

Computer specs.
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor 3.20 GHz
16GB of ram
GFX card: Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
Motherboard: b450m pro-vdh max
Storage Devices:
  1. (What i have windows and most of my games on): PNY CS900 500GB SSD
  2. Seagate ST1000LM048-2E7172 1TB
Windows 10 64bit

Every part except the HDD is only barely over a year old. I thought it may be a memory leak after researching for what may be the problem online but even after completely wiping my computer the issue still persists.

Here are some images of it happening, I used my task manager to monitor when I was playing games. It doesn't have to spike to 100% for the fps to drop, as you can see in the D drive (my HDD) the disk only spiked a little bit but the lag was noticeable.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I have a benchmark here of my system parts and the condition they're in: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserR...3iBpATlXNnDhGJMQ7Hq75OznN96RWfMzSrH8TsscjUKPE

I haven't been able to find anything online that narrows down the exact problem, I don't mind replacing anything, but if I could have assistance narrowing down what exactly i need to fix i would be eternally grateful.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Submit an image of the "Startup" tab so we can see what's auto-loading and running in the background.
It also feels like I use way more ram than I should be using, simple games like League of Legends using 8 seems a little excessive, or games like FFXIV using 15.
If certain games are using 8 - 15 GB of RAM, you probably should add another 16 GB and run your gaming rig with 32 GB.

According to the motherboard's support site, it can use up to 128 GB(32 GB x 4) of DDR4 RAM, so you definitely have the option to add more.

-------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.