Disk Usage Very High causing lag

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

justaguywhoneeds

Hi,

I currently have an issue where I get 50%+ disk usage for no reason actually. It's causing lots of lag. Is there any fix for it? [I've tried everything on YouTube, none of them worked] btw, can an SSD solve this issue?

Tanis

Shane
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Can you provide some information on your system.

If its a prebuilt like HP, Dell etc then please provide the exact make and model.
If its a self/custom build please provide make and model of the motherboard, CPU, RAM, Graphics card, Power Supply (not just wattage) etc.

Can you run the TSG System Info utility and paste the information here, there is a link to it in my signature.

Can you also run Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager. On the main screed click the Disk column heading which should sort it by processes accessing the hard drive, post a screenshot in a reply.

justaguywhoneeds

Hi, Sure.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20210105071805.000000+330

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4

Total Physical RAM: 4 GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030

Hard Drives: C: 148 GB (95 GB Free); D: 465 GB (452 GB Free);

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61MS, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.

System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Screenshot:
1618653910656.png

Tanis

Shane
Thanks, looks like you are downloading/updating something in Steam on that image, that would probably account for the high disk usage in the image.

If you look at mine by comparison:

1618656587589.png

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20210105071805.000000+330
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
Hard Drives: C: 148 GB (95 GB Free); D: 465 GB (452 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61MS, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
Your computer has a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S motherboard which has 2 DIMM slots and supports up to 16 GB(8 GB x 2) of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM.
Your log shows it has only 4 GB.
You need to add another 4 GB so it has 8 GB.
As long as it has only 4 GB, it's going to access the HDD for virtual memory, and it's going to run like a turtle.

Submit another image of the Task Manager window, but with the "Startup" tab selected.
This will allow us to see how many startup entries are enabled.
It's my guess some of them can be disabled.

Switching from a HDD to a SSD would be a good move.
That will improve speed and snappiness to some degree.
Even if you do that, you still need to add more RAM.

-------------------------------------------------

justaguywhoneeds

Hi,

Sorry I was on download. Actually, even when I'm not downloading anything, it spikes up to 100% without any reason.

justaguywhoneeds

Do you guys think upgrading to SSD will solve this issue?? [and yes, I will be upgrading my ram too]

Because of the 100% disk usage, I can't even play games anymore. I get like 8-10fps max.

Up to last month, I used to get 120-250 fps constant. This issue occurred a few weeks back.

Please let me know if buying a new SSD and RAM will help with the high disk usage. thanks!

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Java Update Scheduler can be disabled.

Vanguard tray notification can be disabled.

As I already said in post #5, adding more RAM and switching to a SSD will improve speed and snappiness.

-----------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Besides Windows 10's built-in antivirus app (Windows Security aka Windows Defender), what other security-related apps do you use in your computer?

When was the last time your computer was scanned for malware, spyware, etc.?

------------------------------------------------

Tanis

Shane
As said, increasing RAM and switching to SSD will improve performance, but I don't believe it will fix the route cause.

The low space on C: in conjunction with limited RAM (4Gb) are quite likely to be factors in this.

plodr

Liz
4GB is not enough to run Windows 10. Now I'm reading, you should have 16GB; it used to be 8GB recommended.
Hard drive is 148GB capacity and you are saying you have 82 GB free. So more than 55% free space. Clearly a crowded hard drive is not the issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online