1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disk Working Hard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mastic, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mastic

mastic Banned Thread Starter

Hi all
    My Win XP version 5.1 service pack 3 computer C disk works really hard for an hour or more after booting and sometimes during the day. It is doing that when the computer is not doing anything in particular (Resting), I would several programs open but doing nothing.
    It is not a virus scan in the background. Any ideas as to what is going on or are there any utility programs I can download that will tell me what my disk is doing?

Thanks in advance

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Right click the task bar.
    Click Task Manager.
    Select the Processes tab.
    Click CPU column and see if anything is taking up a lot of processor usage.

3. bestdarncomputer

bestdarncomputer

What is telling you that your HDD is spinning up that often while resting? A sound the HDDs LED light on the front of your computer?

If it's a sound, and a desktop, i'd hope you couldn't hear the HDD spinning up all the time, and hope its not spinning that hard while resting. If there's a sounds it's likely a fan or something of the like, open the case and take a can of air duster and the shop-vac to it and suck and blow till you can't get anything else out of it. Power supply and CPU fans get gunky and hot and make the fans work harder.

It is the HDD LED light on the front, follow the steps above anyway, never hurts to clean out your case, then follow steps above and see what the CPU is eating up. Run MEMTEST see how your memory is holding up, and run a test for your hard drive, you can usually download them off of the companies website, burn them to a disk and boot from it to test your HDD.

Hope that helps.

4. mastic

Thanks pyritechips. Nothing showing that looks out of place, mainly system idle process 98 to 100.
    I am curious, IIRC iron pyrites are also called 'Fools Gold' because they sparkle like gold, why the handle
    pyritechips?

5. golferbob

golferbob

if you have 98 -100 process working at idle ,sounds like a lot to me. i run xp also and have 38 at idle.

6. mastic

Thanks bestdarncomputer. It's a new computer a couple of months old with this weird and idiotic open mesh case and fan with blue LED lights so not only is it not old enough to gather dust I can see it's clean. The computer does not have a HDD light and being the C drive on a desk top I have it running 100% of the time. I hear it ticking and clicking as if it's reading or writing.
    I took it back to the people I bought it from and they ran tests for a week, said they couldn't find anything wrong..... It crashed about 4 or 5 hours after I got it back!!

7. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    No, I believe that he means that the System Idle Process is 98-100 which means only 0-2% is being used.

8. mastic

Thanks golferbob, I just checked another different old XP machine, with no programs running except the start at boot such as antivirus the CPU is still 90 ~100. That old machine has much noisier disks so it's easy to tell when they are working and they are not reading or writing with that CPU loading.

9. Jason83

Jason83 Banned

Listproccess
    A very small program that simply lists the processes that Task Manager lists, including the full path name so you can see what program they are part of. Download ListProcesses for Windows HERE Save the file to the desktop.

Once downloaded to the desktop
    Double click the Listproccess Icon
    Click run
    When the window opens "select" GetList
    Scroll to bottom of the window and click on Copy
    Reply to this thread and paste the contents of the list so we can see it.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

---------------------------------------------------------

11. mastic

I always check files I download for virus and malware, Spybot search and destroy reports the ListProcess .exe file as 'Fraud. Internet security' so I will delete it without running it.

12. mastic

Log file below as requested:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 12:05:31 PM, on 28/11/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG2012\avgrsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    C:\Program Files\PamelaPCR\PamelaPCR.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
    C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgnsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    C:\Mail Programs\plastic3\agent.exe
    C:\Mail Programs\PlasticOne\agent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lviewpro\lviewpro.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
    C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://login.alibaba.com/login.htm...libaba.com/feedback/default.htm?routeto=inbox
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NUSB3MON] "C:\Program Files\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04g\BrStDvPt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [pamelaPCR.exe] "C:\Program Files\PamelaPCR\PamelaPCR.exe"
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgpp.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Desura Install Service - Desura Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Desura\desura_service.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
    O23 - Service: NMSAccess - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
    O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
    O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
    O23 - Service: Washer Security Access (wwSecSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe

--
    End of file - 7864 bytes

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to do some uninstalling, updating, replacing, and adding in that computer, so do the following:

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

-----------------------------------------------------

You can get a head-start by uninstalling Sygate Personal Firewall.

It hasn't been updated and supported in several years and was popular during the Windows 98SE/ME era.

The built-in Windows XP firewall is fine.

----------------------------------------------------

If you're using the free version of Spybot - Search & Destroy, get rid of it too.

There are better and more user-friendly and less problematic replacements.

If you've been using the built-in file and registry cleaning feature of AVG 2012, stop using it before you damage Windows and some of your programs.

14. mastic

But what would I be uninstalling?
    This computer is only a couple of months old and apart from any nasty crap that may have installed itself all programs were installed because I use and want them. Yes I know Sygate is not supported anymore but I installed it because I like the way it works and the feedback it gives me about programs that are trying to phone home, the Windows firewall doesn't give me that info and is turned off.

15. Jason83

Jason83 Banned

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type msconfig

Click OK.

Select the Startup tab.

Disable all entries below.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NUSB3MON] "C:\Program Files\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04g\BrStDvPt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [pamelaPCR.exe] "C:\Program Files\PamelaPCR\PamelaPCR.exe"
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')

Hit start button at lower left hand corner of the screen.Then in the run box type services.msc right click Run As Admin. Find the service listed below,one at a time. left click it once you should have the option to either stop the service or restart it , stop the service then right click selected service select properties then change the startup type to manual then left click apply and move on to the next service.If the service is stopped and the startup type is manual then do nothing.
    Steam Client Service
    Google Update Service

Next.

Please download
    TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
    Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
    Double-click on TFC.exe to run it.If tfc doesnt prompt a reboot then please do so manually.

You have AVG,Spybot,Webroot,and Sygate It seems that YOU ARE RESPOSIBLE for your "DISK WORKING HARD" you have devoted your pc to security like fort knox "IN YOUR MIND" but in reality having all these security programs leaves your computer more vulnerable than a wet paper sack.You should uninstall two of them ,but not AVG.If not you will continue to have the same issues. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice