1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DiskDefrag?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by noobd, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noobd

noobd Thread Starter

Whats the best free disk defrag out there besides the built-in windows one?

Thanks.

2. Duckman69

Duckman69

3. Duckman69

Duckman69

whoops there both pay for programs :/ check this out tho i found this freeware program im giving it a test now ill post back soon im looking for 1 more as well... i could use a decent 1...
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/O&O_Defrag_2000_Freeware_Edition_d4545.html

you can find another 2 mentioned here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2538389 (if you read the posts the 2 you need to download to the same folder apperently take forever to run but that may turn out to be what you want not for me tho ima still try the other 1 and let you know...

4. Duckman69

Duckman69

Well i tried Contig & Power Defragmenter (2 exe's need to be in same folder to run them) and i tried O & O defragmenter personally i thought O & O was to fast to be much better then the windows defragger... now im runnin these 2 and there just as quick for me even thought that guy said they took forever... im thinking this may be because i just used DBaN yesterday & reinstalled windows after that wipe... so theres prittymuch nothing on my HD let me know what you wind up doing still, ight im out hope i helped some :D

5. rabgary

rabgary

I personally use Perfectdisk (not free) but have read good things about the free Auslogics Disk Defrag in several different forums.

6. noobd

noobd Thread Starter

yeah i had to perfect disk trial version but ill just stick with the windows defragger. I never knew defragging wasn't that important and shouldn't be done often - thats great info you linked me to.

7. Duckman69

Duckman69

:D yea its not such a big deal i defrag like 3-6 times a year, usually after i go on a download & deleting spree, glad i could help ...
    ~later

8. noobd

noobd Thread Starter

one last question - should i defrag with say all my programs off? right after a bootup where i use msconfig to disable programs, in safe mode? thanks.

9. Duckman69

Duckman69

i would suggest for best proformance yes :D

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many commercial defrag utilities have an off-line defrag mode that does the job before Windows boots up. This allows them to defrag system files, pagefile.sys, etc.

11. wilson44512

wilson44512

i just started using Auslogics Disk yesterday. and it seems to be working good. one thing i like about it is. it dont leave a process running all the time like diskeeper does.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice