Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure" Error Then "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl..."

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dvk01 
#1 ·
Hello,

I need help with this Diskette issue please. "Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure"
I've had this problem a few times in a couple of years and I have been able to fix the error by pressing F2 and going to the SETUP. And I've done this with no issues. But this time I thought I fixed it but now I get this new error: "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". After I press Ctrl+Alt+Del it takes me back to the same error massage "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Need help please. This is a Dell Desktop, Windows XP.
Thank you. :up:

Sue :)

#6 ·
That is almost certainly being caused by your motherboard battery going flat and reverting to default, which on an XP computer of that age will be to have floppy as first boot
You can reset boot order as much as you like, but it will continue to happen, until you change the motherboard battery

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81
I was aware of that when I posted but there is more to it.

Even with a dead battery PCs won't revert back to Bios defaults if the PSU is still connected to the wall supply.

The PSU provides an 'always on' 5V output, this powers the Cmos memory used for holding the Bios settings and the circuitry that senses when the PC power button is pressed. It also powers the 'wake on Lan' and 'wake on keypress' if they are enabled.

EDIT : you should still replace the battery though.

#7 ·
Hello,

Need more help please. I changed the battery and I'm still getting this error.
"A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart"
When I do ctrl+alt+del it reboots but it takes me back to the same error message.
And I also changed the boot order in the Bios Setup and put the floppy disc to none.
Thanks.

Sue

#8 ·
That sounds like either the hard disc itself is failing or the disc controller, if you have changed the battery and reset bios to default

I think you need to back up everything & get anew hard disc, but it might be advisable to take it to a repair shop to double check as it might be a faulty Hard disc controller on motherboard

if this is a dell with XP, then I assume it is quite a few years old, so you might want to start thinking about a new computer, which will probably work out cheaper in the long run, considering XP loses support in April with no further updates or security or bug fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.