Disparity in Data Transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bryci

Hello,

First of all, this is something which may be difficult to understand without using this system.
To remedy this, I will try my best to explain things thoroughly and use consistent terminology throughout.

I am using a piece of software to perform data transfers for my clients and I have a problem.
I actually work in IT, and myself nor my coworkers are able to solve this.

The software is one known as "Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier"
The OS of the machine (WE WILL CALL IT "Transfer Computer") running the software and performing the copying is Microsoft Windows 10.
The "Transfer Computer" is connected to a SCSI Data RAID (We'll call this "Data Backup Array").

The operation that we perform is intended to, and SHOULD consistently, go as follows:

Client HDD data (Windows User File system) ---R-Studio (deselect unnecessary files)--> Data Backup Array (Size XGb) ---RoadkilUC--> Destination Drive (Size XGb)

Instead, the operation tends to play out like this, with the destination drive having variable Y (~3Gb) of extra content.

Client HDD data (Windows User File system) ---R-Studio (deselect unnecessary files)--> Data Backup Array (Size XGb) ---RoadkilUC--> Destination Drive (Size X+YGb)

We determined that the phenomenon is because of file shortcuts in the Data that is being backed up.
On the client HDD file systems, there were shortcuts to files relevant to it. (Examples: appdata, desktop, program links, etc.)
When the backup is put onto the Data Backup Array, those shortcuts point to those files within the C: drive of the "Transfer Computer".

This causes the backup operation to backup both the client's data, and the data from the "Transfer Computer".

I have several questions.

1. First of all, does this phenomenon have any kind of terminology?
2. Does windows have a setting which might prevent this from happening?
3. Do any of you have experience with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier that know how to solve this issue?
4. If you have no experience with Roadkil's software, do you have another copier that you would recommend for mass copying operations?
(Please keep in mind that the application is a workplace so time-saving and consistency is critical)

Thank you,
Please let me know if you need some clarification on anything.

The "Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier" hasn't been updated in a long time , I'm afraid it cannot be run on win 10.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online