1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dispelling static before and during cleaning PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCmouse, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCmouse

PCmouse Thread Starter

Hello, I am going to clean dust out of my PC for the first time. I have had this PC five years, so I know it needs to be cleaned. I have been putting it off due to fears of causing static damage. I understand that I can touch the computer case before and during the cleaning process to dispel static safely. I am just not sure where the safe touching places are. Here is a diagram of a case with pink arrows pointing to places I assume are safe places to dispel static. Which of these arrows are pointing to proper static dispelling areas?

PC_Diagram.jpg

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

Touch only the chassis before touching any component. In a circuit board state, the semi-conductors are more resilient to high voltages compared to their raw state. Semi-conductors like diodes can take a lot of voltage, so they are scattered around the board to protect the components from high voltage damage. The board it self has an electrical layer that shorts the high voltage to ground or the chassis. DO NOT USE A VACUUM CLEANER. Blow out the dust and that is about it. Do not need to remove the heat sink to re-apply heatsink paste/grease unless the temperature rises compared to the normal temperature during idle. Can use a very lightly damp rag (water only) to wipe down the computer. Clean the computer once a year.

Hard drives have a vent hole, so be careful cleaning around this hole. It is best to note wipe it. If want to wipe the hard drive, wipe away from the hole.

Can touch after touching the chassis...
    CPU
    FAN
    RAM
    Motherboard
    Hard Drive
    CD-ROM
    PSU
    Video Card

PCmouse likes this.
  3. PCmouse

PCmouse Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply! Are all the pink arrows in the diagram pointing to areas of the chassis that are safe to touch to dispel static? Or is the ENTIRE chassis safe to touch to dispel static? How often to I need to touch the chassis while I am cleaning the PC? Are there any other safety meausres I should observe to avoid damaging my PC?

Also, can I use a q-tip to hold fans when I am dusting them with compressed air? Or should i use a pencil wrapped in duct tape?

One more question, can I clean the PC on a metal table that has a wood particle board on top? Or should I just use a wood table? Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!