1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display adapter conflict after installing software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lyn Patterson, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson Thread Starter

Just upgraded to 2Ghz, 256RAM 40Gb HD. Running Windows 98SE

Hard drive is partitioned: C = 8Gb D = the rest

After several problems like they forgot to format D and they put in an internal modem (I have an external) which had to come out, and no port for the external modem, things seemed OK.

I re-enabled GoBack (have never had any problems with GoBack and love it) and on the re-boot, Windows opened in safe(compatibility) mode. Naturally GoBack couldn't run and it gave several reasons including the hard drive controller computer not detected or missing from Device Manager, problems with a device driver or device conflicts .

The message on reboot was that the Display Adapter was not configured correctly so I went through Device Manager and the listed one was S3 which was highlighted with an exclamation mark. We removed this and re-booted and then went round in circles as it just kept on repeating. Then suddenly another message and Windows found new device: VIA Bus Master PDI IDE Controller. This time, when I got into Device Manager, there were 2 listings under Display Adapter: S3 and S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR. I was told that the S3 was probably from my old system and the other one was for my new video card . So removed S3 again and this time Windows booted correctly.

Later, I still wanted to re-install GoBack so I uninstalled and re-installed it and the same thing happened - Windows opened in safe mode and when I looked in Device Manager, the S3 was back and the new one had disappeared. Why did that happen?

I fiddled for half and hour and somehow got things restored but I was just lucky I think.

My question is - do I have a device driver problem and should they fix it? I had GoBack installed, but disabled, when they upgraded the system. I am worried if the next thing I want to install will cause a problem as well.

Hope my explanation is clear.

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

1 - install the mobo drivers that came with your upgrade
    2 - install the Video drivers that came with your upgrade.

Do it in that order.

if you want, download them from www.via.com.tw

Important note: Don't expect the Stability of your previous Windows98 as driver support for 98 has gone into the trash.

Also, sometimes (and usual) when you do a major upgrade - you should do a CLEAN install of Windows(98)... Wipe out the Windows directory and all system files from the root.

1 - have Windows98 (DIR) copied to your HD to do the install (C:/win98) - always leave it there.
    2 - from within Windows, DELETE all files from the root. (move your personal files elseware)
    3 - copy the DOS command "DELTREE.EXE" from c:/windows/command to the ROOT
    4 - Exit out of Windows (Reboot to MS-DOS option).
    5 - type in SMARTDRV (if need be, go to C:/.windows/command) - this will save about 30-100mins.
    6 - from c: (root) - type DELETREE windows <RETURN>
    7 - after Windows is dead, go to c:/win98 and type setup and follow normal Windows98 installation steps.

PS: Copy your Favorites, Start Menu and fonts, and backgrounds to another folder first.

3. Lyn Patterson

compilerxp

Thanks for your detailed instructions.

Can you explain what you mean by:

"Important note: Don't expect the Stability of your previous Windows98 as driver support for 98 has gone into the trash."

Thanks

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Windows98 is 5 years old, it is an EXCELLENT OS of the Window9x era. Much better than WindowsME (they took Win98, broke it and added junk)... Win98se is very stable & predictable (Win95 was a complete nightmare!)

With WindowsXP gaining market share (by new system sales and arm twisting to Fortune500 and any other M$ enabled compant) and the simple fact that Windows98x IS very old - todays companies spend more time writing & testing the drivers for WinXP than Win98. Its logical. Back in my Amiga days - I was a strong supporter to UPDATE the OS when a new version came out, as each release (1 > 2 > 3) was actually faster than the last. While M$ OS tends to get SLOWER with each major version (M$ counts of hardware to make up the slack, and Intel counts on M$ to make their software bloated to create demand for faster systems).

So... the motherboard drivers for VIA chipset boards, which are updated on a monthly basis (as does Intel), get enhancemets and bug fixes for WinXP - while nothing much, if anything happens to its 98 drivers. They say "We we recommend 4.35 or older for Windows98", this if FINE if you have a KT-333 motherboard or older. But if you have a KT400 or newer board, then that becomes a problem. Yes drivers will work... but more likely to get problems.

With my rather NEW hardware (And those for clients & friends), after all the updates - I'm finding my Win98 system to be LESS stable than they were a year ago.... very noticably so. I would not be surprised that a M$ Security update is causing such problems. M$ has broken many systems, including servers with their patchs. Hey, M$ made a neat game many years ago, called "Crimson Skies", it was fun and easy to play. While the last beta version was solid, the retail version was a nightmare... reports from all over the place from users having crashes after the first level or two. Yep, M$ anti-piracy code was breaking the game. After 3 weeks of waiting for a patch that worked - I got it refunded. (The programers went on VACATION after the release of the game) So needless to say, the game did NOT do well. Point is, a bad piece of code and cause problems. And those in the industry no longer care to support Windows98 which is still on millions of computers.

Hey, it would be silly to RUN Windows3.1 or plain DOS on a 2Ghz computer... and that is where Win98 is... :(

If M$ didn't include so much JUNK and privacy issues into WinXP, this it wouldn't such a bad thing... I would have put it on ALL my computers over a year ago.

5. Lyn Patterson

compilerxp

Thanks - now I understand what you mean. I take it you don't recommend changing to XP? My tech place says I would be no better off. My new motherboard is ASUSTeK cOMPUTER inc. P4V533-MX. It seems a very new one - the manual is dated August 2003.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Try it out... I'm not sure what M$ is going to do with Windows98 driver updates in 2004. I need to get around and DOWNLOAD all their Win98 Patches, in case I need them for a computer (mine or a clients) - I did that with IE5.5 :)

Give it a try... see how she runs. There are things EASIER to do than in WindowsXP - as XP doesn't have a NON-GUI mode (not without spending 30mins booting up the Stupid WinXP CD-ROm and going throu the motions)... or system copy, because of their bone-head Anti-Competitive Activation system (Which does nothing for AntiPiracy) so back ups are harder. Hey, sometimes WinXP will BARF on itself by adding a stick of RAM to the system... its NOT supposed to happen. hey, what if your computer has a meltdown? So by re-installing the OS onto new hardware, you're branded a pirate!

Try out Win98... see how she goes. Then if you have problems and have a spare HD, put WinXP and see if you have the same problems. When I replaced a mobo with a NEW NForce2 board, I did a clean Re-install of the OS... the system was unstable, random lockups, driver issues, etc. I tried WinXP on it... and it ran smooth as silk. :(

My Main machine froze up 3 times today while I was in a hurry to do something before leaving. (Trying to unzip files) The system hicked up, crashed out... usually, like now - shes running good and stable. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of putting WinXP on my computer still... I have little intrests in giving M$ anymore money than I have too, and yes - I could have installed a pirated version on my computer years ago... But I guess one more M$ OS on my computer until I move over to Linux - for my desktop.

Oh well... M$ is starting to lose its grips on the desktop market - I think once more and more companies realize they *DON'T* need microsoft - it will be like a dam bursting.

Only reasons why Companies relie on M$: #1 - M$ Office, which requires M$ Windows. There are already products for Linux to replace M$ Exchange and Outlook (and more secure). 90% of M$ office users only USE 10~15% of the features of M$ Office... which ANY Office Suite can do.

A major Gutiar manufacture got SUED by M$ because out of 80+ PCs he had with Windows & Office & other M$ tools, 3~8 of them (I dont remember) were not legit. The owner (Used to be in a major band) paid off $80,000 to Microsoft in fines. After that, he ripped *ALL MICROSOFT* software off his computers. Stuck in Linux & Star Office.

His quote - kinda "I thank M$ for helping me start my business, and I thank them for making me stop using their products".... He saves over $70,000 a year in M$ Licences. He can upgrade his systems when he wants, and pays little or no money to do it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice