1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display Adapter Update?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by im_confused, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. im_confused

im_confused Thread Starter

Two days ago my computer screen started flickering with a "stuck in an infinite loop" message and now really strange things are happening at startup, including sometimes flipping to a black screen with nothing but dollar signs across the whole screen. Usually it's so bad I can't even see the Windows screen and have to reboot 4-5 times. If I can ever make it past the startup process, it usually straightens itself out and won't cause problems until the next time I turn the computer on. The IT guy at my work took a look and said it looked like I needed a display adapter update, so I downloaded an updated version from nvidia.com, but the problems are still there and seem to be getting even worse. Any advice on this problem? Sometimes, the screen will go completely black (and any sound playing goes out too), and I'm afraid it eventually just won't come back at all!

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Dollar signs?? Sounds like you got wormed. Do you have a current up to date anti-virus? Did you run it?

3. im_confused

I've run updated versions of McAffee, AdAware CWShredder and Spybot. Is there a program other than these that might catch a potential worm?

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Well if you are sure you are up to date with your A/V software and there isn't anything showing on a scan from McAffee, then you should be clean. Same with Spybot. I have seen a few graphic cards go out but not with $$$$ across the screen. Is there anything you may have changed on your system of late? Like deleting software, or adding software, or an electrical outage...?
    A dispaly adapter is possible but IMO unlikely although if you have Nvidia and installed the update WITHOUT disabling your A/V, you could have some problems......Try DirectX and see if it reports any Display problems. Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Info and then from the Tools Menu, choose DirectX. Look under the Display Tab. Also check the version of your DirectX. Newest is 9.0b I think.

5. im_confused

I've made no changes to software and had no power outages. Forgive my ignorance, but we're going into an area that I don't know a lot about. Under the display tab, it lists the name of the device as Dell 2650, manufacturer: NVIDIA, Chip Type: GeForce 2 Go. The main driver is listed as nv4_disp (which is also the file that was the cause of the infinite loop problem when this whole thing started), the version is 6.14.10.4482

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

Your driver is HERE for the G-Force chipset. Try this one and see if things straighten out. Please, no need to apologize for not knowing. We all started there. :) (y)

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Also check that your card is firmly seated in its slot. The intermittent nature of your problem could be the result of a bad connection.

Also, when installing a new NVidia driver, it is a good idea to get rid of the old driver first by uninstalling it and removing any NVidia folders that you have. Emptying all your temp files to be sure an older version of a driver file isn't lurking around would be a good idea, too.

8. im_confused

Thanks, I downloaded the driver from your link and the computer restarted to finish installation. However, when I open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, the version number is still the same as it was before. Do I need to do something to update it? Also, how can I make sure I've deleted all of the older drivers?

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

If you got the driver to install from Nvidia, then you need not worry about the old driver. True, it is best to remove old Nvidia drivers first but I have done 100's and never have. What version of DirectX do you have? Did it show any problems with the Display adapter? DirectX is not from Nvidia and does not change when you update the video driver. You must update it from Microsoft.

10. im_confused

OK, I thought the two were the same thing for some reason. But when I got to the device manager and pull up the properties of Dell 2650 under Display Adapter, the version # of NVIDIA is 4.4.8.2. which is the same as the original driver in my 3rd post. Shouldn't it have an updated version # so I can tell whether the updated version I downloaded is actually the one I'm using?

11. Emtronics

Emtronics

There should be a date of that version file also listed in the Device Manager. Mine is 4.5.2.3 of July 28, 2003. It ia also a GForce driver, not the newest one I'll admit. If yours is saying 4.4.8.2 then you are not installing the new driver. BEFORE installing the newest video driver, remove the old one first from ADD/REMOVE in the Control Panel. Then install the newest one you downloaded. What is the version of your DirectX?

12. im_confused

Ok, I removed NVIDIA from Add/Remove and reinstalled the NVIDIA file I downloaded. Now the version # for the driver is 2.9.6.3, which would seem to be an even older version!? My DirectX version is 8.1.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice